Mike Williams aka WilDog, A Swaylocks member … "Kokua"

From a local Friend here on Kaua’i who was in touch with Mike & his nephew:

An early phone call to Kit this morning gave us the sad news of the passing of a long-time friend, Mike Williams , aka “Wil-dog”. Mike told Kit he wanted to have his ashes returned to Kauai. We learned his nephew was taking care of the arrangements so we will wait for instructions. Here is a picture we received that was taken yesterday. Rest in peace Wil-dog, a hui hou

For years, Mike was the backbone of the PineTree’s Longboard contest here on Kauai’s north shore in Hanalei. Keeping heats running smoothly, keeping all the kids happy as well as the “elders”. Patching surfboards was another forte of Mike’s, putting the pieces back together. Well all miss this gentle soul of a Man. Aloha noooo, WilDog … Aloha nooo, dear Friend.

Sorry to hear it, Kokua was a bright spot here at Swaylocks, we knew his health was failing and we can take comfort that his suffering is over, but his passing is our loss, and leaves an empty spot that cannot be filled.

Ah.

I never new Mike except through here. He PM’d me when I first joined, welcoming me and wanting to see if i could reach an old friend of his in Aotearoa, and was so nice and sweet.

And again, here, he always seemed to bring out the best of people. Sometimes he swept in and made peace between bickering folks or someone acting out, and just did it so effortlessly and positively, with just a word. Such was the respect he had here, and I’m sure it was the same in all spheres of his life… heart charisma, a rare kind.

I love that he always began with Aloha _____,.

I believe we carry on when we die. Aloha Kokua,

Auwe. Kokua was so good at helping folks here at Swaylocks. He helped me a lot and would get me discounts on FCS stuff. SO sorry to hear this. May he rest in peace…

As soon as I saw the title I dreaded what I would read.

You will be missed Mike.

The world just got a little smaller.

RIP and love to his loved ones left behind.

Thanks for letting us know PPK.

Wow.  Sorry to hear this.  I’ve missed his posts here for quite a while.  He shared some good info with me years ago and he won’t be forgotten.   

Super nice guy who always had great insight and was very friendly.  Will be missed.

So sad R.I.P  Kokua

Kokua was the backbone of Swaylock aloha, too. Not to mention the final word on glassing and repairs in my opinion. His username said it all.  I missed him around here the last couple of years, too.  He had a life well spent I suspect. Cool T-shirt Kokua!  Hope I get to meet you on the other side.  Mike

R.I.P fellow board building friend.

Save a wave for me.

bummer.  never met him but shared some words and stoke across the ether. rip.

Rest your soul Kokua. Always a gentleman. Got lots of repect because gave lots of respect. Aloha

Aloha no Kokua. Aloha Mike.

I’m so glad I had a chance to see you in Arizona when you were doing better. Your positive attitude and help will be missed. You will live in our hearts and memories for all time.

A hui hou!

I never met Mike in person but we shared many email communiques via Swaylocks.  He seemed like such a great person… extremely knowledgeable but always ready to share his professional tips and secrets to those who asked.  

We both had hoped that he could make it out to one of the Big Sur campouts but his health problems hit him really hard at all the wrong times.  

My condolences to his family and friends.  I sense a great loss to the community.

Kokua was a genuinely kind and giving member.  His absence here at sways has been and will be missed…

I just want to pay tribute to a man I do not know but from who I learned a lot.

My condolences to his family, may him rest in peace.

Last year we exchanged a few e-mails - an excerpt from one:

“I really wanted to start working on the SUP thing this summer before I go back to Kauai in Nov. but maybe it’s meant for me to die from a polluted ocean, I could live or should say die from that because I will be doing something I love and I am going to try and see if I can figure a way to paddle and see in front of me. I made 5 years of no cancer in January. I drink only alkaline water these days and cancer doesn’t like alkali, it thrives in acidity so all I know is I will be back on Kauai come Nov or possibly Oct and that is what counts because it’s time to go home because this is not my home. I have cheated death two times now and not many people can say that.”

Sad to hear of his death but Mike’s returned home.

Never a mean word or bad attitude, always a kind man. R.I.P.

Surfboards bind us all together on this website, but very few here are more than anoyingly semi helpful   Mike was one of thoses guys that would give you the shirt off his back…no questions asked, He was solid backbone of this place…  Always took the high road around here, class act, respectful, always giving a helping hand.

My Dad always said you have to give respect to receive respect.  Mike lived this around here in cyberland.   Rest in peace Mike you are not forgotten and you enriched many for the better.  

Never met Mike. When I first got involved with Swaylocks there was a lot of crap slinging and chest thumping, sometimes still is, Mike always had a measured tone of someone who actually knew what he was doing. He gave good advice freely and his attitude and stoke about surfing is something to remember.