What PLANER to buy????? Help!

Hey guys, 

I’m new to the site and love all the info i’ve gotten so far. After all i have read about planers and sanders I am still not sure, and maybe more unsure, of what planer to buy. I am torn between older(Hitachi) and newer(Bosch) and modded already or doing the mods myself. I have not seen anything written on here about the new Bosch PL2632. I was looking into the 1594K and stumbled across the new PL2632 model. I really like the newer model and was wondering what everyone thinks? Also, would Petes Bosch mods work on the newer modek if I went that route.

There is also the Hitachi route. I like the older SB model but is that stupid being that there is the ST available now? Basically, I’m totally boggled. I would love to know what everyone else has to say about this.

Oh, and there is also the new Milwaukee M18 Cordless Planer. Im a huge Milwaukee fanboy for my carpentary tools and already have the M18 Fuel Lineup stuff. So batteries would be no problem. But would a cordless Milwaukee Planer be any good?

I don’t mind spending money. I cannot justify the Accurate but would definitely prefer that over anything else. I will keep an eye out for the Skil 100 but who knows about finding the right one. I need somehting right now. 

Thanks for all the help and again this site is great!! Here are my two basic questions:

1. What planer would you reccomend buying? Modded already or DIY, what Brand, Model, etc.

2. Also, whats a good sander? I know the Milwaukee is great and I love their stuff but I would like to hear what everyone else thinks about this also. 

Hey I have the Milwaukee 5540 polisher/sander.  Mine has been great so far and I know it is highly regarded in the industry.  I just orderd the modded bosch 1594 from PeteC.  Everything that I have read about the planer has been very positive.  Cant wait to give it a try when it arrives!  

Can’t go wrong with petes Bosch planer.

I have shaped with everything.

Skil, Hitachi’s (which I’ve sold all of 'em), Rockwell, and others.

Taught on a Skil. so that’s what I’m most comfortable with.

I switch back and forth between the Skil and Bosch.

The Bosch by far is the smoothest, quietest, and cuts the cleanest.

I think Pete’s selling those DIY kits pretty cheap.

Got a whole quiver of Milwaukee sanders. Love 'em.

I have Pete’s Bosch and a skill 100.  I favor the Bosch.  Easy to handle, fast cut,  more quiet, easy on the arms, reduces stress, lowers cholestoral, removes warts, heals the sick saves the sinners, and your significant other will love you more.  Sold?

Choose wisely.  ha

Thanks Fellas!

There is a video on Youtube of Kazuma taking that cordless planer for a test drive. Very impressive.

The 64,000 dollar question is… how LONG does the charge last??? Hitachi cordless?

Howzit Barrry,

I’ve got 2 Skil 100’s, 2 Clark Large Clark Hitachi’s and 1 small Hitachi … curious what you didn’t like about the Hitachi’s? What I hate is that I can’t find anymore trigger switches for the large (F30?) Hitachis.

Bosch makes good tools.

I would guess the battery would get you through a typical HP shortboard no problem. With a backup battery or two to alternate between you could keep going. If I didn’t have two Skil 100s a 653 and Hitachi I’d grab one. ;^} Seems like a good planer for a backyarder like me. I really like the idea of not being tethered to a cord. Downside is it looks like there is no easy way to mod the handle.

My 2 cents
IF you have not touched a Skil 100…
Don’t.
A number of years ago I Had time to begin again.
I couldn’t afford a Skil and whent with the Clark foam Hitachi.
Lots of nice stuff out there…
Me? never happy until I got a type 5 Skil,
Home sweet home.

He posted a new video and said it goes two boards on a battery charge.

“For everyone asking to see the cordless Hitachi work, here it is. The Clark Foam style adjust mechanism is a near perfect fit. If you watch the video, you can see when my finger cramps up and I let go of the trigger. The electronic brake works amazingly to stop the cutting head which is super safe but I do wish it had a trigger lock. I also wish that the handle was positioned better to reduce hand and wrist cramping. Other than that, the power is amazing, probably better than my corded and the freedom from the cord makes shaping so much fun.”

I have 2 Skil 100’s , 2 large Clark Hitachi’s, and one non surfboard altered generic Hitachi small planer…

My large Clark Hitachi’s need new trigger switches and they don’t make them anymore! I’ve tried calling around to USB and other sources and even writing the Hitachi factory… no luck. A real bummer, as one of the planers trigger switch is dead and the other will go some day. I’m using one of my Skil 100’s and the other one sounds growlie like it needs bearings.

If I had a crystal ball and knew they would end up offering a longer base for the small Hitachi’s that I can get trigger switches for, I would have gone that route.

There’s a guy in Oxnard that has found some kind of switch you can nig rig for the Clark Hitachi’s, so I guess I’ll contact him and see if I can just pick his brain if he’ll let me and DIY it for the Clarks.

Maybe I’ll add a Bosch to the quiver, they’ve always made good tools, and comments that it icuts sharp and isquiet is kind of attractive. Sharp is a prerequisite for balsa.

I’m sure that switch is nothing super unusual. You just have to track it down. What model Hitachi is it? There are some very good parts resources on the web.

…never heard of a cordless Hitachi; would be an excellent choice except for the handle grip position. That s really important if you put hours in the bay (ergonomic and technique factors)

Hello, DS, you do not need any special sharpness to shape Balsa with and electric planer.

Regarding the shaping in that clip:
If some one need to do all those many deep cuts in the bottom curve (without making the bottom at the same time), is because the guy did not choice the right plug for the application.
He s killing the plug and then after all the shaping process the board will be too soft; among other imperfections.

Hey Verb,
I have to beg to differ. They are the Clark Hitachi planers that only carry a plate on them saying Clark Foam w/o the usual model information on them. I believe the large Hitachi used was F30? The smallerHitachi’s have model numbers like SB20 and P20 and possibly other model numbers. When I spoke to Fiberglass Hawaii about it, they had sent me a trigger switch but it was for the smaller Hitachi model they still sell. That trigger switch isn’t compatible. I had the part number for my switch via diagrams from Hitachi and couldn’t find them after doing a pretty extensive Google search along with talking to Jeff @ U.S. Blanks who has an inventory of Skil & Hitachi parts. Jeff said he has had requests for switches but hasn’t had any luck locating them either.

My gut says I will have to open up one of the planers and take pix or pull one out and try to find one that I can modify to make work.

…hey DS, was not me…anyway, I have both Hitachi s but the F30A is in another city so I cannot check right now, but are you sure that you cannot adapt the other switch?
Also, what s the problem with the original one? In my Makita sander they wanted to sell me all the switch but I was in the need of new points…the points are inside that small box, so you can dismantle it and see what s going on (wrong). I still kicks with the same switch I managed to refurbish a little piece there that moves the spring that keeps the lever of one of the points in place when you push the trigger.
I m not cheap but I recall that they wanted like 100 Dollars for the switch!

Deadshaper:

I’d almost guarantee that if you dig around this link you will find the switch you are looking for. If not under the Hitachi switches you might find it under another brand. No doubt Hitachi outsourced the switches so you just have to track down the right one. http://www.ereplacementparts.com/hitachi-switches-ps-7927-85.html

Took a bit of digging…slow day at the office… I found your F30a trigger switch. $18.00 Here you go: http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/hitachi-956632-switch-b-2p-screwtype-sp18v.html