Engineering jobs in the surf industry

Hello all, 

I am new to swaylocks.  I’m a mechanical engineering student and have been surfing for the past 10 years.  I’m looking for help finding information on possible career paths as an engineer in the surfboard industry.  I’m also curious about how surfing companies go about creating new products, who creates the those products and what their typical background would be, who tests thoses products and how I would go about pursuing a career as an engineer in the surf industry. 

If anyone has and knowledge on the subject I would greatly appreciate it.  

Hey mate, I’m a mechanical engineer student working in the surfboard industry in Australia. I work cuting boards with a CNC machine and designing some files for it. I’m also developing a surfboard manufacturing line to create super precise surfboards as a stepping stone to understand surfboard behaviour in the water.

I believe the career path to follow depends on what you like the most about building a surfboard. I’m passionate about shaping and understanding how a board works, also I had a bit of experience with CNC so that’s the path that I followed. But there’s other procesess involved in making a surfboard such as glassing and the materials that the boards are made of. Apparently every big brand is working on construction methods nowadays. But there’s a lot of room to explore according to me.

Hope that helped. Keep me posted on finding your path.

Cheers!