How to glass the vector net?

Hi Buddies, I’m trying my first attempt to glass the vector net on the tail of a shortboard (deck, like lost surfboards does).I wonder what’s the best technique to let it wrap around the rail of the tail properly and make a very clean job until the sharp edge of the rail.Should I glass the vector net first using cutlap technique or there is a easier way to get it done?I’ve posted a pic of what i wanna do exactly.Thanks

What??  No experts??  Use an adhesive.  3M 77 or just their regular 3M adhesive.  Light mist in just a few spots.  If you can wet it out on a table and then pick it up , lay it on the board and wait for it to set to the consistency of a normal cut lap.  Then cut at the rail apex with a Stanley  Knife.  After it has set ;  lam the deck and wrap it.

I hate the shit.

From a Production line point of view, It’s usually ugly (this depends on your personal preferaece of ugly).

Cut lap is the only way I will use it. And, would only use it with epoxy (more control with the bottom edge, with the slow/consistant/molding style of epoxy set time).

I’m no production glasser so …?

…the one in the pic is a good one, and it still looks like shit.

One of the guys that buys this material from me uses spray adhesive and laps it onto the bottom tail.  He Pre-cuts the net using a cardboard template.  Then rolls back the toplayer of cloth, mists light with the adhesive, places the net, rolls the top layer over the net and proceeds to lam the entire deck.  Top layer and net at once…  He has it down.  Gets a short lap onto the bottom and a freelap of 4 oz. over it.  Mattwho has posted up some pics of several he has done and I’m pretty sure he said he used adhesive.

Vector Net 227 one inch.  Aka “Scrim”. Sometimes referred to as Kevlar although to me personally that reference is confusing as it looks nothing like any Kevlar I have previously seen.

before I shoot my mouth off anymore, what actually is it?

…if the requirement is to make it look like a “lost” board , just draw black lines on the tail with a posca pen…no one will ever know !

You goys like those Lost boards down there eh?

The 3m adhesive doesn’t f…k with the epoxy?  Cleanliness and all that when using epoxy?  What exactly does the net stuff do anyway?  Mike

Those trendy tail-rail patches do very little…maybe prevent the tail snapping across the line of the front plugs , in extreme cases…IMO.

The trend has gone on for a long time. 

They don’t look any good IMHO, I’d rather put a runner of 4oz or 6oz and keep a clean looking surfboard.

The net is used for the same reason carbon tape is used on the rail.  Some guys run a full net deck.  Eliminates the crunch when using 4 oz. That was the original idea and it is effective.  Why would any one put Carbon or Kevlar on a surfboard?  Strength and durability first.  Looks second.  

This may or may not help BWTF.

“More patience than me, after having to fix bumps and a few pesky air bubbles I havn’t gone back to the vector net. even just cutting the stuff irritates me.

Using just the white strand nylon net, do you still get lumps to sand out?”

Photo log….

#1 scissors! https://shop.fiberglasshawaii.com/shop/tools/small-tools/stmsscfw008-8-featherweight-scissors

#2 Wax paper and spray glue.

Use the wax paper to mold after glue sets up.

Lots more info available via PM.

It’s not carbon but aramid, kevlar is Dupont trademark of aramide. Aramide can be tint so exist in different colors . Can be a good thing for durability but in tighter pattern.

You can have both durability (strength mmm ) and looks. 

No doubt, it works. And all the best to all those who use it. 

beginner - doesn’t give a shit about looks or detail (they don’t understand really)

competent - looks and and function are blurred, and equally important

advanced - function / performance priority

around the block - function / fassion are of interest (fassion bad word, sleek lines maybe)

… net is a shortcut to thinking IMHO, IMHO is all.

:slight_smile:

it even look messy off the roll.

Yes I was originally told by my supplier that it was Aramid “Scrim”.  More of a inside industry reference.  Like I said called by afew names.  Otherwise 227. = one inch.  226  = 1/2"

If some of you don’t like it or don’t have the skill set to lay it up;  then don"t use it.  The biggest problem with Carbon or Kevlar strands in a fabric.during a lay up is that the glasser doesn’t get the strands wetted out throughly.  It will not lay down or flatten out if it is dry or dry in spots.  It fuzzes up under your top layer of cloth whether you lay it up by itself or with the top layer…  There are lots of these types of fabrics out there lately.  Differant patterns besides diamonds.  Multiple strands in star patterns.  Etc.

A data point:  A friend has a board that has vector net along the rails in the back.  It’s a Channel Islands board.  After about a year he is now getting fractures on the glass along the edges of where the vector net ends.  These fractures look to be allowing some water in.

Typical in this industry.

OOh, it looks so tech.

Not.

People have gone ape-shit crazy with that stuff.

Not a fan.

Fugly.

Not enoughr Kevlar there to do anything.

Made to keep sails from stretching.

A patch of cloth would do more for strength.

But just dont look as cool.

Alla, Carbon tail down the center circa 1991.