XPS foam thermal bonding

Is it possible to heat bond PE to an XPS core using a heat gun. I couldnt find any info on that exact duo, Im pretty sure about PE x PE bonding. Im not sure about the compatibility of XPS x PE, and Im afraid i might shrink the XPS foam. What would be the best method for that?

I never try this combo but i have ever “hot glue” plain PS on plain PS. PS is a thermoplastique so you can “hot glue”. It works with EPS on EPS too and ABS on EPS.

Im afraid i might shrink the XPS foam

That’s exactly what will happen.

I’ve been making a compsand the sailboard way (bending the divinycell using a heatgun) and if you slip the heatgun past the edge of the divinycell, the foam shrinks away immediatly. I’ll never use a heatgun close to the foam again.

I never try this combo but i have ever “hot glue” plain PS on plain PS. PS is a thermoplastique so you can “hot glue”. It works with EPS on EPS too and ABS on EPS.

Hot glue might be your best option indeed.

Im intrigued by how bodyboard manufacturers do it, since they sell heat laminated boards with XPS core. Hot glue might be a bit hard to work with in large surface areas, as this is a deck x core bonding. Ive read people using gorila glue to bond XPS to XPS. ill give it a try.

Maybe the only heat the PE on one side and quickly press it on the foam? A bit like how the hot glue works?

Or apply hot glue nicely spread. Then run over with the heat gun (since it hardened in the mean time) and apply quickly?

Or apply the hot glue inch by inch and press on the PE sheet inch by inch?

I’m just guessing

You might do some trial runs, I’m very interested in the results.

When i say hot glue there is not glue just hot fusion.

By steam?

Heat gun

Yes hot gun, but just small parts. At works we had specific cools for that.