Board History? 9'-6" T & C Team Board..For D,Varde by shaper James Turnbull

Anyway…It appears this is the website to go for history on this board!9’-6"x23" wide x3" thick…Older Town & Country Haleiwa Decal.Hawaii Longboard Surfing Associtation Decal.“TEAM”…etc. “Made for Dennis Varde by James Turnbull  #9704”(do the numbers mean anything?).I suspect it was made about ‘78-79’(?)…By what I’ve read elsewhere on the net…it appears “uncled” can give me a good idea of its history…;^)…LOL!

At some time in its history the nose was knocked off(story?) and reattached,hard to see in the photos…but it appears it was repaired well. The board does have some small issues that I should be able to fix(I did some ding reapirs on my older boards years ago)…a couple edge dings and a small delam spot about 2-3" in diameter below the nose break on the bottom side.I don’t have any intentions of changing its appearance other than fixing the few spots that are bad,well enough to seal it and paddle/ride it in mostly smaller inland surf along the Straits of Juan de Fuca,about 4-8 miles(3 possible surf spots from my place up there.If my knees improve,I might get out to the coast at some time.

Thanks in advance for any history…decent website…lots of good info here!

D Varde is Dennis Varde or “UnceD” here on Swaylocks.

You can PM him for more info on that board

But Jim Turnbull was an alltime great shaper for Country Surfboards after the ownership changed Charlie BB30 worked as a glasser for the new owner when he first came to Hawaii and has some stories about sr and jr.

When I returned to Hawaii from Seattle in 1990 I saw the new Country Surfboards owner selling boards at the stadium swap meet and they intrigued me because they all had deep double concaves in the tail but were set up as thrusters. I ordered a custom 10’ big boy/small kid tandem model in pale pink (for “thinkpink” the rock climbing term) which became my all time greatest board i’ve owned. I surfed everywhere with that thing from small haubush to 8’ haleiwa and it worked in all cases. Infact I still have it and may try and ressurrect it one day to its original state.

It was only later that i found out that jim turnbull was “the guy” when it came to boards for the waikiki beach boys and waikiki surf crew. It was either Turnbull or Cippy that those guys got their boards from. Saying you owned a “Turnbull” was like a badge of honor because not very many surfers knew about him except the undergraund guys. I later picked up another “pink” country surfboards shaped for sunset beach for a girl (sarah) by a northshore lifeguard named “hall” who shaped for the new Country Surfboards label (wave) and that is another board I’ve treasured and still have along with the custom 10’ today both are in decent shape for 26 year old boards. The board was fast, strong, paddle like a boston whaler and could turn on a time.

Turnbull died many years ago due to complications from alcoholism like allot of the northshore crew from that era. And i deeply regret not ordering a whole quiver of lonboards from him when he was shaping for country surfboards back then. The only one’s you’ll find these days are in the same shape as the one you are showing. Its kind of like trying to get a used Sparky (another shaping legend) from Inter Island that’s i in good shape. Although I saw one a couple years ago on craigslist that looked pristine

The pointed nose was a trend back then for high performance longboards. In the early 70’s my aunt had a custom Ramsey-Jay that had a similar outline and it was ahead of its time back then as well.

Turnbull was a genius, most of his creations were magic when you talked to the owners they always seem to bring a smile to their faces as they recollected the boards. Be interested to hear what Dennis has to offer on this one.

Here’s some shots of my custom turnbull 10’ before I veneered it.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u38/oneula/PICT0542_zps54376651.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u38/oneula/PICT0543_zps826b466a.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u38/oneula/PICT0541_zpseae06294.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u38/oneula/PICT0546.jpg

Thi is what it looks like today with it pearwood veneer skin

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u38/oneula/PICT0736.jpg

Here’s another crazy underground shaper I haven’t got a board from yet

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u38/oneula/u-l00001-a.jpg

Great story!

This does have the serious concave around the tail,about up to the decal…about 1/2" deep between the outer rails to the center stringer…I wondered how that would perform.

The edges on this board aren’t as bad as the bushes make them look.All of the “toothy” you see are only leaves overhanging the board.As I said,it does need a few small dings fixed along the edges to seal them…maybe a few 1/2" circles of cracked glass is all…other than the one bad small delam spot on the bottom that I might slit the glass cloth a little,force some resin in there to reseal the cloth,and maybe add a coat over a small 4x4" area to seal it up;should be all it needs.Suggestions for that?

Does resin have a shelf life?I have a sealed quart(2005?) can here that has been stored at 45-70 degrees in an unheated shop…but I bought some new catalyst.I’ll make a few small test samples to see if it is still good before using it(Does it discolor with age?won’t harden?)…or at Swaylock-er’s advise,go buy another can(or cans…if I need laminating resin also).It’s been a while(10-15 years) since I’ve done resin work on anything other than boats.I also have some system 2 epoxy I’ve stored from the same “era”.At one time I was going to build a wood board so stocked up on the materials(lots of cloth and epoxy) I would have needed to build one…I just never did.I do build/restore ukuleles for a “partial” living…so making wood veneers aren’t a problem for my shop setup.I just never found the time to build the wood board.

On your pear wood skin…is that veneer expoxied on there?Just wondering.I have no intentions of doing any veneers on this board.I might do some kind of external paint to the nose area…perhaps with matching red and matching stripes)…just beyond the break line(not covering decals,above them),and color the bottom the same…that could be easily sanded off at a later date.

I’m assuming the nose fix was done long ago.If someone has been surfing the board around here,where I’ll be going with big sandy beaches shouldn’t create problems for the nose.Most of the places I’ll surf are used by longboarders and surf kayaks…and I can choose when I go to avoid crowds…since one beach is only ten minutes away.

Every month I need to go up to my other home(beyond Port Angeles…since you’ve been here you might know the area) and mow about 3/4 of an acre of lawn…getting in the water afterwards will be comforting for my knees…and hopefully I’ll get my flexibility back with time.If my knees improve,I can hit the ocean beaches at Hobuck or La Push…within an hour.

Thanks for responding.I’ll wait a bit to see if  Uncled wants to respond  to the thread…If not I’ll PM him later.I think his stories about the board might be interesting for all.I’m curious if he broke off the nose…and possibly where and when…maybe hit the big rock at Waimea(:-O)…or had too many primos at the “after luau” and forgot to tie it down to his racks and dropped it on Kalanianaole Highway…LOL!

It would be interesting to see how it got up in this neck of the woods…

Wow, that is one of my old HP competition boards I used to ride.    That board was superfast and loose. Turnbull (RIP) was a great shaper and the main shaper for Ed Searfoss at Country Surfboard. Everything Oneula said about Jim is so very true.  His boards were great and the guy was such a low key humble guy. He was the backbone for Country Surfboards at the time.  It was my idea to do the deep double concaves. I don’t think we even call it that at the time.  I described it to Ed Searfoass and Jim as a Bonzer style modified bottom.  I wanted glass on fins because I charged big Sunset and Lani’s with that board.

That one I rode in the Rick Young (circa August 1998) surf meet in West Port, Washington.  I only made it to the quarter finals but the board was not made for the conditions that day.  Guys with logs were getting the better outside waves and connecting into the inside. I didn’t want to fly the board back to Hawaii so  I sold the board to my buddy Mark Mekenas in WA who at the time worked at the time for Hiram Walker.  He sponsored me with the entry fee and wetsuit for this meet.  After our heats, we would sit on the beach and chuck oysters.  I had a really great time at that meet.  I still keep in touch with Mark via email and Facebook.  He retired from HW and owns the Cannon Beach Surf Shop in Oregon. He is a great guy!

I was a pretty decent surfer at the time and had a lot of experience surfing the HSLA meets in Hawaii.  I wish I could say the same now.  I am just a phat old phart now that get mercy waves from the young bucks.   I started making boards again around 2004. I wished you seen that board when it was still cherry.  It was a great board for me.

Uncled…That’s pretty cool it has some history to it of being ridden in bigger surf and competition to boot!As to the year it was made…'70s-90s.??..and I assume that the “nose job” came later in its lifetime then…

Westport…I haven’t seen in 40-50 years…just the wrong area of the state that I rarely get to…

As to the “phat old phart”…I understand that completely…although I’ve kept my weight intact(about 5-7/175lbs)with a lot of hiking and construction work until a couple years ago when the knee problems arrived(psuedo gout,calcium deposits).I’m usually still good to go for a day or two of “gung ho”…then need a couple days to recover,mostly my knees.My upper body strength is still intact,why I figure knee paddling might be the better way to go,verses a prone position and trying to get vertical from there.I’ve got about an 8’ board I bought locally but it’s thin and just not quite enough for what I figure I need.

Thanks for the info…

I had it built in the mid-late 90’s.  I think I have one more Turnbull board at my house but it belongs to a friend.  That board was in near perfect condition when I sold it to Mark (for his teenage son at the time).  That nose job came much later.  The surfers on the beach were checking out the board because of the HP features especially the bottom.   I told Mark that I didn’t want to fly the board home and if he knew anybody that was interested.  He asked how much. I told him $300. He asked if I would take a check and I told him sure. He paid me within 5 minutes.  His son was stoked!

Shortly after that we had to drive back to Edmonds WA.  Before leaving West Port we stopped at the dock where a boat was selling Dungeness crab for $3 live and $4 cooked per crab.  We bought about a half dozen live crabs.  That night we had a great crab dinner.  The next day, we cashed Mark’s check and my wife and daughters had a great NW shopping spree at the out let stores.  That is the story of my last surf meet.   Thanks for the memories!  

My house by Seattle here(Lynnwood) is about 10 minutes up the hill from the Edmonds ferry dock.There was a crab shack at the Edmonds Yacht Harbor docks(sold herring bait and crab;they  no longer sell there…but we sometimes can head up to Everett(north about 20 minutes) and get them for $5 a piece off a boat there.Up until a few years ago we used to be able to walk in the saltwater off a local beach and the wife and  me could get a half dozen or more easy in about an hour and a half…since then the beaches have been pretty stripped of anything(extension of the Boldt decision to include 1/2 the shellfish…besides 1/2 the salmon)…oh well.

It’s hard to beat a pile of fresh Dungeness crab(the picture attached was a legal limit for four people…My wife(from Maile…her parents owned the old Superette there)… and myself,her nephew and his girlfriend…My wife took a quite a bit of crab home to Hawaii for her family there.That picture will make you ono for crab!LOL! Thanks again for the history lesson…

what a small world…

like Cheyne said in surfers the movie…

we’re all connected in some strange etheral way

left being a surf bum in hawaii in 74 to pursue an education at the University of Washington in Oceanography specifically Physical Oceanography which was like squeezing a physics/math degree with an ocean science degree. Took 5 years but when i finally got to the end I had to face the truth of a 12K annual salary as an undergrad in this discipline. So in 79 I had to decide if I wanted to ship off to Chile as a deckhand on an oceanographic expedition grinding stinky barnacles off of depth sensors which I did all summer of 79

or…

I could take a full time supervisory job at the First National Bank of Washington and make $25K/year my first year as a fulltime employee. So in 79 I decided to take a year off and 10 years later I left a lucrative management career at Seafirst Bank burned out from the weather and demands of yuppie city life to head back home to for recovery and family. Been here ever since eventhough I but left lots of dear firends and loved ones back there who just didn’t have the same opportunities like i did to come home with their careers in aerospace.

lived the whole 16 years in a small 3 bedroom apartment across from university village.

Arrived there when Governer Dan ruled the roost and left when Starbucks and Nordstroms were becoming brand names.Microsoft and its windows product really wasn’t out.

In 74 I skipped finals in the middle of December and caught a ride with an airforce dude and an army gal and we drove down to surf seaside over the weekend. I had to catch a greyhound (my first) the weekend before to the closest sufshop in portland (Mrs A’s) to buy a wetsuit (my first as well). Got lost had to walk over some monster bridge to her shop after catching the wrong bus and got scolded for being a damn fool by Mrs. A herself. Damn country bumpkin from the canefields of Ewa I guess. We got hammered at Seaside, no one else out and gave up. Such an cold, ugly, foamy and scary break. We then drove all the way up to Westlock but half way up I had them drop me off at Olympia and I caught a greyhound where my westuit under my clothes and trugged through the snow back to the dorm only to fail my final the next day. Things like that leave a mark for sure.

Months later I had my old faithful red custom beaknosed single fin shipped to UW in my dad’s old army sleeping bag and had to fix all dings from the trip in the stairwell before we took a roadtrip to Westport to go razer clamming. After clamming I tried to go out (no one out) but the water was below my knees forever and I never made it out past the shorebreak.

And that pretty much capped my surfing experience in the area. Pretty much became a ski bum after that as well as re-introducing skateboarding to the UW campus with my brother the following summer. We’re pretty much were responsible for UW building the barriers around the obelisk in red square.

A year after coming home as an asian white whale, I took up my favorite past time again so I needed a big big board and that led my by happenstance to Country Surfboards (a favorite label of my past) and an unknown shaper Jim Turnbull and his miracle handiwork. 

Like I said

small world

Wow, some great history here, awesome thread, thanks guys for sharing!

It’s surprising how many people of  “Polynesian” descent have settled in Washington state and stayed here.A little while ago I was looking at  a recent breakdown of  the ethinc backgrounds of residents here and the figures were something like 200,000 people were from the “South Pacific area”(Hawaii,Tonga,Samoa,Tahiti,Maori,etc).I think a lot of that has to do with the mildness of the Puget Sound’s climate.It really doesn’t get extreme here at either end of the weather spectrum…plus it’s not too far away from the islands to just hop on a plane and fly home to see family.

My past was the opposite.My mother(and I are Haole) moved to Hawaii in 1965,she remarried a pure Hawaiian resident(VP Teamsters & local 681,Harry Kuhia Jr…my family was heavy into the unions,I wasn’t)…and I had a chance to live there and go to college right after high school…however I enrolled in August with a start in September…which gave me a curriculum of only leftover terrible classes that either made no sense(2nd year classes in computer sciences…old binary stuff),were well under what I knew in that field(advanced mathmatics,stuck in old algebra),and other things I wasn’t interested in to fill the void of the sememster.I didn’t last long out of boredom for what I was taking…and having just arrived in Hawaii.

I do recall my first encounter with big waves was skipping out of classes one afternoon/evening with a local friend in December of 1969 and heading up to the north shore to watch and view the damage of the big storm of that year…with myself and about 50 other people getting decked by a rogue one of the large waves that evening at Waimea that laid everybody out in the parking lot…as the wave washed through clear to the highway.A marine died in the wash of that wave(I think the only death of the storm); a group of servicemen were farther down beyond the grass on the sandy beach and letting the waves wash them up to the grass.Unfortunately he didn’t get out of the wave in time to avoid the backwash.I don’t think they ever found him again.Getting off the north shore was interesting,avoiding vehicles that had been pushed into others on the dry side of the highway,debris all over the roads.That was the same storm that I think Greg Noll rode the 25’ one the next day at Makaha.

After bailing out of college,I spent the next year or so in Hawaii working at local businesses.but not really happy with the jobs I was getting, so moved to Los Angeles for over a year around 1971.I settled into doing some technical drafting for Boeing catalogs but hated the Los Angeles social scene…and headed back to Hawaii.I was still doing odd jobs… parking attendant,Mauna Luan maintenance,The Cab and Alpha Taxi and Tours,some part-time construction work,and casual surfing,hiking,partying.I got along great with the locals,never had any  problems.

At the time I was a long haired hippy,a spitting image of Jerry Santos(Olomana…when he still had hair),hung out quite a bit with the Records Hawaii crowd,liked slack key and local music(still do).I remember one time at a bar watching the Sandwich Island Band(Pahinuis) where Blah or Cyril wanted me to “Come up on stage and perform a song with them”.I had a hard time convincing them that NO,I wasn’t Jerry and couldn’t sing or play guitar worth a damn.LOL!I still think they didn’t believe I wasn’t him.I would get a lot of people calling his name and waving while driving down the road.My name ryhmes with his…so I would just smile and wave back…they were either his friends or mine.

My surfing…was casual…usually early mornings watching the sunrises off Waikiki from Publics(I’m goofy-foot) off  Kapiolani Park…or running out to Makapuu once or twice a week.I didn’t really getting into any heavy north shore surfing.I did have a girlfriend at one time that had an old Dewey Weber Mini-Feather I borrowed from time to time to play with around Waikiki breaks…a 7’ mini longboard.That board was fun on crappy surf…I messed with shortened fins on an old 8’ Surfboards Hawaii country gun I had earliest…when Ben Aipa started his Glass Slippers and side slipping down waves became a big thing.I usually surfed by myself or with one Uof H friend that ended up going to teach in Japan.When I was living back here in Washington…I had brought my Dennis Pang board with me…but only used it behind boats on lakes.My friend stopped here on his way to Japan…so I packed up that board and he took it with him,an end to any of my surfing.When he left Japan,he gave it to a teaching friend that remained there…so that one is probably still in Japan.My Randy Rarick tri-fin was sold in Hawaii…all orange with a repaired 4-5" gash in the bottom from a coral head that got the board,just before it gashed my back on that wave…nice little tubers at low tide…surfing in and out of the exposed coral heads.I guess I deserved that one.

After 10 years or so,I still had $150 in my pocket and nothing to show for all that time in Hawaii…so I left…came back up here and got back into construction steady…and later a general contractor in remodeling houses,some commercial work…built my two houses I own in my spare time…and getting ready to retire at the end of this year.I did spend some winters weekend skiing when I returned but the wet cement snow here was hard on the knees.My brother has the old family lake place and a couple Hobie cats(16’,17’)…so I sailed those quite bit.I also spent years hiking in this area,say 20-30 miles a month, during spring through fall until my knees curtailed 90% of that the last couple years.Here you can even hike in the wintertime,either the lowland mountains or along the northern coastal beaches…15-20 miles stretches of isolation to oneself  if you go then,temperatures in the 50s…

As far as Hawaii and returning there…I haven’t been back since I left in 1979…although the wife goes back to Maile every year to sit around with family and eat(Chinese-Hawaiian style…always eat,eat,eat!) and visit her family…never even walking across the street to the beach at Maile or elsewhere.I watched probably 70% of Waikiki turning into hi-rises in the 9-10 years I was there back in 69-79…and would rather remember it as it “was”.I don’t think I’d like all the changes that have been made since then,so I haven’t returned.I’ve thought about building or buying maybe on the Big Island. Houses there seem to be about 1/2 price or less than here…maybe something to think about after retirement.I don’t think I could stand Oahu again,due to the high cost of living there and the crowds.

Okay…I’m done with my history…This thread does bring back memories…Time in Hawaii is something one doesn’t forget…

watched olomana and boogabooga at the bar sat the end of bishop street.

Love their first couple of albums

aside from the “hokulea” album that bozo cazimero did with a bunch of fellow grads i have the original LP that the Sandwich Island Band put out. Honolulu How Do You Do ws a favorite. 

Oahu will break your heart if you come back as does the ewa plains when ever I drive home.

The big island has potential but the surf scene is limited and tight We have 2 acres between hilo and puna.

kauai is being destroyed by its popularity to the high end market

It breaks my heart when ever I visit Seattle and the northwest on business trips these days as well. Maybe northwesternites were right with their disgust with the california expats back in the 70’s-80’s. Microsoft, Boeing, Nordstroms and Starbucks chnanged it for the worse

your union connection is interesting

we used to visit mcneil island every now and them and spend time with the hawaiian crew there as a UW hawaiian club community project. Was cool and both spooky to watch Nappy in action. Years later Nappy junior became the Kumu Hula to our club where i mostly played music versus dancing hula in the annual luaus. Funny how being away from home makes you want to identify with your culture versus taking it for granted when you are home. 

Territorial Tavern?..at the foot of Bishop Street.The Beamers(Keola and Kapono) had to get special permission to play there,too young to drink…if I recall.For a few years,the wife and I lived in Harbor Square,right there between Richards and Alakea I think…I get my streets mixed up sometimes now…been too long ago.I liked the Cazimeros for the first few lps(as you said…wasn’t it Ho’ala?) and we went to see them a lot (Ala Moana Hotel…Pau Hana room?)…but their later music did get pretty tired.I found about a dozen of their Lps at a thrift store here and bought them…probably only listened to a few of that era.

I brought back a large collection of Hawaiian LPs,mostly 60s-70s because of my connection with the record sellers/friends that worked Records Hawaii…and even lived with a group of them for a short while in a house up Palolo,(3 bedroom house at the top of the mauka driveway just before Waiomao from 10th)…I’ve expanded my collection with a lot of Hawaiian lps and cds I’ve found here in local thrift stores…surprisingly quite a few.I still have a few holes to fill…for instance that Sandwich Island Band one…I never have found that “group”(of Pahinuis).I’ve got every Gabby except his very first one…but that might be the same as the cd(Gabby Pahinui with the Sons of Hawaii?).I recently found Genoa Keawe’s cd.I’ve bought a lot of the Dancing Cat label slack key ones.slack key masters,SonnyC, Cyril,Keola, Ledward,Hui Aloha,all of the Dennis Kamakahi I could find(he cancelled his last concert here just before he died…rats).The 70s were my favorite era for slack key music…most of the greats were still alive and playing then.Olomana,Beamers,Sunday Manoa,Pahinuis,Kaapanas, Country Comfort,Hui Ohana… and others that played with them at different times…

Union…Local 681 was the Concrete truck drivers and that…big union!Their office was by the Moanalua shopping center(still there?)…(too much “Syndicate” for me…what I didn’t know I figured was better for me,so I steered clear)…my parents lived on Aupuni St. for a while(moved there from Palolo)dead end after the entrance to Kam school) in Kalihi…and then moved to Ala Mahamoe below Tripler…and also ended up at Harbor Square.About 1980-81(?) my parents retired and moved over here(couldn’t afford living in Hawaii) out in the country by Oso beyond Arlington.Poor Harry was always “freezing his okole off and happy about having his “terminal” underwear”…LOL!He caught his gloves on fire by ‘drying’ them ON the wood stove in the kitchen.Another time,Thanksgiving day, he had cleaned the ashes out of the fireplace from a fire the night before,left them in a paper bag on the carpet next to the hearth.We smelled smoke and noticed a neat rectangular pile of ashes the size of a paper bag with a red glow around the bottom of the top half of the bag,holding the ashes up and the carpet burned out below where the bag stood.He finally burned their house down out there smoking some kind of huli-huli chicken or turkey in a rusted-out hibachi inside an oak barrel sitting against the house on the back porch. Never give a cold Hawaiian person an inside woodstove and matches at the same time!:open_mouth:

My mother and Harry set up a huli-huli chicken trailer next to a grocery store in Arlington,the town close to where they lived…and did occasional pig luaus on the side.They had more fun than making a  profit.Harry died of a heart attack in the mid '90s at Oso(close to Arlington).Both of my parents have died.I do have a kid brother(half brother/half Hawaiian) Kekoa,20 years younger than me.He lives here on the east side of Lake Washington.We haven’t been in touch for a number of years.

roland and robert cazimero and keola and kapono beamer are about 6-8 years older than me

aunty nona was my dad’s classmate, class of 41

my favorite kihoalu was either from sonny chillingsworth (with his sweet voice) and a classmate(70 /71) dennis kamakahi. So much talent from the crew from 66-72. My age group was more into Country Comfort, Mackey Feary and Kalapana or Cecelio and Kapono. But Ku’u Home o Kahalu’u and Waimanalo Blues were the theme sonsg for all us homesick Hawaii expats. For the expat generations later it was Brudda Iz. Kind of funny thinking about us hawaii boys sitting around playing local music like that during the age of studio54/saturday night fever disco, famolare shoes, angel flight pants and member’s only jackets. 

sonny died many years ago and dennis passed away last year

keola is doing his own thing and cyril is currently in Queens recovering from major lung surgery (from agent orange they say)

I used to buy and keep LPs/Records Hawaii (piikoi?) before CDs/Tower-Borders came to town. Kind of like the boards I’ve ridden or owned over the decades, All classics or exotics that I wished could have survived over time like the LPs have.

You can’t beat the sound if you have a decent stereo setup. My dad had an old grundig tube console setup he bought in the 60’s in germany when we were stationed there and the sounds that thing produced really opened my eyes to how bad things had gotten with digital. Kind of like listening to music live versus a recording. During those “duck and cover days” we grew up with Martin Denny, Alfred Apaka, the Mills Brothers, big band jazz and latin jazz like Xavier Cugat or Perez Perado as my dad and his army buddies loved to dance at get togethors.  

i remember when I listened to the hokulea album with my first set of yellow foam earpadded sennheisers and was blown away by all the sounds I had never heard before.

every one from those days are getting up there in age close to 70 if not older as I venture into the 60’s. I attend more funerals than weddings it seems.

Every surfer should learn how to play slack key or the ukulele and play some kind of hawiian tune, it should be a requirement. 

Some of the best modern age entertainers started out as either surfers or waikiki beach boys.

Aloha realityguy . I was reading your posts and the name Harry Kuhia caught my eye . Was at work today and talked to one of my co workers . Harry was his uncle , so you guys would be cousins by marriage . Yes its a small world . One of his other uncles was a big wave rider , a friend of Greg Noll . My co worker is also a founding member of the San Onofre Hawaiian Surf Club .

Artdecrpid:My mother was Ruth…the secretary for the union…so if he knew Harry,he knew my mother also.I don’t recall ever meeting any of Harry’s family but I might have at the kid brother’s 1st birthday luau(1971) or other get togethers I went to with them…not very often.I didn’t live with them very often,just visited.I usually rented/lived with others(or ladyfriends…:-)…) in Waikiki,Palolo,downtown,and Kailua for a short while.

Your friend may want to contact my kid brother(half…direct son of Ruth and Harry),but he left Hawaii at about the age of 10(1980?..45 now).He might have gone back to visit.Since the parents died we have been very distant(I am with my entire family)…but he should be living in Bellevue?..I think he’s on Facebook…works for IBM yet.

I headed up to my vacation home this week to try and get ahead of the yardwork…and took the board up there to work on in the evenings(no Tv,computer or phones there…my choice…just woods and wildlife…bliss!).I can isolate and heat the lower workroom area to 70-80 degrees there…I had to fix a delam with a couple pieces of cloth(about 2"x4") and a few other edge dings,one V piece over a crack on top(still might do some “point” paint there next to the top logo)…and used some paint on the nose and tail to cover most of the damaged spots.If the board ever needs full restoration,the paint can easily be sanded off…but it should be waterproof now…I didn’t do much sanding…looks aren’t all that important to me as much as being watertight and it functioning correctly…

There wasn’t any local “straits” surf at all.I checked the beach a couple times…no wind,waves or anything.I did talk to a local “surfer” or paddleboarder trying to catch waves…asking about what to look for in weather,swells,websites,etc…to get an idea of when it possibly could be good over a few days to plan my trips accordingly from here north of Seattle.He gave me some basics to look for as far as monitoring certain conditions at the NOAH buoys,wind directions,height of swells to watch for,etc…So I have a start and not just heading up there blind.

LP music…Records Hawaii was on Beachwalk? at Kalakaua back then.Piikoi? rings a bell,but I can’t picture it(How bad is my memory!I drove a taxi for three years over there and I can’t remember a lot of the streets back 30 years!LOL!).Most of my stereo equipment is based on older 1970s pieces with Speakerlab 4 speakers,Kenwood amp,Pioneer turntable,and other backup pieces,cd recorders(so I can make my own analog cds off older lps,even 1950s Hawaiian 45s I found from an old jukebox).I have 2 or 3 "stereo sets around the house.The vacation home uses an older Sansui amp and Harmon Kardon speakers.I don’t own really any “new” stereo stuff.Bruddah Iz…got lots…but I recently found an older Makaha Sons of Niihau cd that got “stuck” playing in my car’s cd player now(I usually just let them keep playing…rarely listen to the radio)…but for my 200 mile trip I did pull it and put in some Lightning Hopkins for one way…;^)

As I said…I do build and restore ukuleles…I sold a few to a cousin of Sonny C’s that lives here;she buys for her nieces…One was an old 1920s? Wendal Hall “TeeVi-ola” tenor,a second was a Martin soprano copy of mine in Koa…I can’t remember what the third one was…I build everything from sopranos to tiples…

realityguy:  The board looks pretty good and so does the ukes.  For me, looking at that board is like looking at a ghost.  Now I am into shorter, wider, thicker boards. 

Uncled…Your boards look nice and should function well.I remember back in the ‘70s when people were experimenting with 6’+ boards but still making them 3" thick to hopefully catch waves better…but still function as 6’+ boards…which makes sense to me.For me this Turnbull board looks more like a paddleboard length and might end up used as such at times due to a lack of decent surf in this area on a regular basis(hmm…perhaps some velcro “fold-down paddle holder strips” siliconed up on the nose for “optional” days)…Right now,I’m more concerned with starting over and getting my knees back to functioning properly and getting used to surfing again after about 40 years of not.I’m getting back into the game as cheap as possible(about $100) to see if I still can and to see if the cold salt water and different movements of my knees will allow me/them to continue…or is this just a wild hair;remember I’m 65 with a lot of construction work in my backgrouynd.I’m keeping the other about 8’ x23"x2" or so longboard-shaped board just in case my condition will improve(or perhaps for the better occasional waves)…I can knee paddle that one also if I need to.

As my name implies,I am a realist and understand I’m not 25 any more…but willing to give surfing a try again.I was a lightweight hiker that normally averaged 20-30 miles a month in the local mountains here in day hikes until a couple years ago.My only real hike last year was about 10-11miles with about 2000’ vertical gain…not very much.I need to change that this year and get back into more hiking(and hopefully surfing) with retirement in December.

I hope your “old ghost” was a good one and not one that you “excorcised” because it didn’t function as you had hoped.On the small waves we have here most of the time,I don’t know how the radical concave tail and fins will work…guess I’ll find out.It may not matter that much.

My ukuleles have changed also over the years of building them into more radical shapes,lightweight tenors as light as 1lb(well 17 ounces with geared tuners…I’m still shooting for that 1lb mark),different types of more resonant wood for soundboards than koa and mahogany…but that’s all in the name of progress and experimentation,getting bored with standard ideas,and making things work out better for oneself…as your surfboards are.(I won’t be pushing ukuleles here…I don’t do that.)It’s all about taking a shape and form and making everything become more alive and responsive within your hands(or under your feet) against air(or water) pressure.

It’s unfortunate that most younger people here don’t have a clue about how hard everyday things can get to be that one takes for granted…like even getting out of bed in the morning…LOL!..until you reach an age(or state of being) where mobility isn’t as easy as it “used to be”.All I can say or tell people is to try and keep in shape…exercise often but don’t bust up your body doing it to extremes…like I did with construction work for 40 years.Keep active,eat healthy, and number one…stay fit and in shape.Don’t let things go until it is too late or too hard to do anything about it.Enjoy life while you still can.No…don’t worry…I’m not going to harp on it.

Again your ukes are beautiful.  I am facing some of the same aging issues and need to kick up my exercise routine.  That 9-6 was a great board for me but getting rid of that one could justify me getting another one. Plus the cash provided my wife and daughters a nice shoping spree.  I wish you were here in Hawaii.  I think we could be buddies.  We could just go in my shaping room and whip up something for you.  I got another stash of EPS blanks on the cheap.  I would even trade a 8’ SUP for a few of your ukes. Perhaps in another life.

Yes young people do take things for granted including the amount of work it takes to produce a decent surfboard.  That is why, I try to teach as many young surfers as I can how to build boards. I tell them that they need to build at least one board to appreciate the effort.  They tend to start off gung-ho but have a hard time getting past the sanding .  LOL!

I get the same thing about ukuleles and the effort it takes to actually make one.I put in 20-25 hours to make one…and have had people follow the process to possibly make one of their own…and they always change their mind about building one after they see what actually goes into making them.I spend a lot of time making forms for different shapes and parts of the process(shapes,neck,fretboards,tops,backs,ribs,kerfing,forms for drilling tuners,fretting,clamping,bridge making,building form/clamping tables,etc…etc… before even getting into building one…and Yes…the sanding and all the dust(I have 2 dust collectors to keep things half-ass tolerable) is usually a deal breaker for people wanting to build one on their own.

As I said before,I was thinking about building a wood board…following a local builder up here and the process he uses to build one… a hollow inner framework surrounded by layers of cork 2" wide around the perimeter to shape the edges and keep the weight down…with a top and bottom glued up of wood strips onto solid blocks,nose and tail.I have all the materials including the system 2 epoxy,glass cloth,cork,nose and tailblock wood…even a shaped fin… and all the wood to do the veneered strips for the top and bottom.Unfortunately my shop is so crammed full of tools,forms,ukulele/guitar bodies…I came to the conclusion that I really don’t have the room and open shop time in the shop to build something 8’ long without stacking crap higher than it already is.

I did get as far as shaping an 8’ blue foam board glued up with an inner laminated stringer to get the rocker…just to see what it takes and if I still could(but I never have shaped foam other than that one)…but it’s sitting on a shelf up in the corner of the shop because I didn’t feel it would float as well as I would like it to…I have no intentions of finishing it.I know it needs epoxy also verses fiberglass resin.I figured it would be a waste of time and epoxy.

Right now,I’m more interested in seeing if I can still surf…in the lousy surf we have in this state.I’ve seen some decent waist high surf days down the road from my place… with the longboarders and surf kayakers fighting for waves.I’ll avoid those days and go when there are only one or two people out.I have that option with my work schedule.

After being gone to the boonies for four days…today I’m working on restoring a 1920s tiple(10 string ,metal strings,ukulele tenor…new soundboard,back,and ribs inside…refinish),and getting a new back on a soprano that was signed by Jake(it looks like he’ll sign anything!)for a lady at one of the ukulele meets…no rush on those.

You and I would probably get things done in a shop…even the sanding.I eat my fair share of dust…:slight_smile: