Wooden Core Single Fin Build Method

I’ve had a couple of PM’s asking about my method of building wooden core single fins so I thought I would post some basic instructions to help those who may be interested in building these.

I make no claims to being an expert on this matter or having the definitive method. But as a backyard hobbyist this is what has worked for me. Others who are more experienced in these matters please feel free to comment, suggest or correct as you see fit.

I would post a build thread on this, but at the pace I generally work at you will all grow old waiting for its completion. So I figured a few rough sketches might suffice.

Cheers Rohan. What are you using for the ‘tabs’?

For the tabs I generally use fibreglass fin panel scraps, but you could use anything that is tough, waterproof and adheres to resin well.

awesome

thank you

n

Haven’t finished a solid wooden core box fin yet, did a few glass ons.

My brother cut out at least a dozen, but they are sitting in a box waiting for someone to finish them. I got all the way to glassing the outside of wood fins, but didn’t finish them. These were made from a softer wood that shaped easily. I’ve always been worried that they would fail after seeing a friends fin split where the glass and core meet.

I’ve done several that have a thin solid glass panel (10 layers of glass) then either a thin veneer (for looks) and more glass or a thicker panel of foiled wood or foam then more glass. I like to have the glass in the center then the glass around it to make a strong base. It also becomes the bead. It’s also been a great way to make thicker fins. All the glass used to make a fin panel get cut away when it is foiled. Seems like such a waste.

I may try your method to finish a few of the sad pieces of wood and foam sitting in that box.