What should I charge? Nose repair

Hi Guys,

Im pretty new to shaping… Currently working on my second board.

A lady at work has asked me to mend some damage on her daughters board. The worst damage is the nose (Pic attached).
Ive started by removing all the loose stuff and have sanded the area down…
I saw a trick online where someone sniped little fibres of fibreglass into a pool of resin and made like a resiny mesh to fill in gaps. So I’ve filled in the damage with this and a bit of spare foam to give it shape. I am also going to top it with a layer of 4oz right on the tip just to give it a little bit more strength in the future.

The rest of the damage is just shallow scrapes which i will just fill in with some resin and this should keep it.

I wasn’t going to charge originally but she is insisting i do it to what any one else would charge. Trouble is i have no idea!?

Materials would be like a couple of £ for spare glass and resin?

Can any one help me out here?
Thanks!!

I just did a repair with a snapped nose for one of my daughter’s friends. Had to add glass and fill and finish like a small new glass job. I charged a tee-shirt (NYU) and his mom bought me two very nice large bottles of beer. YMMV

I would charge $60 for that nose repair.

Wow, thats a serious repair! Maybe ill try just being nice and doing it for free. Although she was very insistent that i get paid for it…Would totally be happy with a T-Shirt!

Thanks for the reply! yeah I guess thats around £50. Thats what my dad said.

Also…What did you do to repair that, do you have to do anything to to the stringer to restore the strength?

Hello joejoe,

They are very good friends; I should have probably said that up front. Nothing special with the stringer. I just piled in epoxy and put the nose of the board in traction to get things lined up again. Then sanded it down really well and put two feathered layers of glass on each side, hot coated and even glossed it. Then buffed it out. If you’re just starting out, I’d consider charging materials + a tee-shirt :slight_smile: But I’ll leave that up to you. Good luck.

If its for a kid of someone I know its free. The damage in the oP is pretty simple to fix and materials are minimal. Stoked kid is more important than a few dollars in my pocket.