The East Coast Lost A Legend Today

Mickey McCarthy passed away suddenly today. An absolute legend of East Coast board building and surf photography. His board label New Sun went back a long way on the East Coast but he was best known for his stunning surf photography capturing the best the Outer Banks and the East Coast had to offer.

Just Tuesday he was posting pics of some home improvements he’d been working on followed by an upbeat post the next day from a hospital bed after an apparent cardiac issue and getting some stents put in. This morning word spread that he had passed suddenly. Life is short my friends. Live every day to the fullest. RIP Mickey.

http://www.easternsurf.com/news/rip-mickey-mccarthy/

Wow, so quick. Bummer. Those are some cool boards - especially like the balsa.

Geez, nice guy. I got two custom shapes (circa 1989-1990) from him (one shaped by local ROSS) when we was at that little shop right in front of the Nags Head pier. I ran into him while he was taking photos at the ‘Police Station’ spot in Nags head a few years ago and he actually remembered me and the board below as many people wanted to buy it while it was waiting in his retail racks for me to pick it up. That board has been from Barbados to Nova Scotia, Baja, SoCal, Santa Cruz, and Maui. The other board (friends in FL now have it) stayed in San Diego for a long time and I surfed solid Black’s many time on that shape.

Thanks mako. Looks like nice boards, fantastic photography (that biplane shot is especially fresh and compelling), and a friendly looking face- RIP.