Fixing a bad resin color

So I ordered a log around 2 months ago and I asked my shaper for like a butterscotch yellow-orange resin tint. 3 days after he gave it to the glasser I asked if it was too late to change the color after I saw possibly the coolest color combo I’ve seen on a log (naturally, I had to at least ask to change it) and he said it wasn’t a big deal and was able to tell the glasser before he had started laminating (that wasn’t crucial to this topic, but I thought I might as well mention it). Anyways, he sends me this picture today and the orange-yellow is literally nearly highlighter yellow (see attached) and I’m hoping it will look better/less highlighter-y in the not pure-white lighting of a glass shop but if it doesn’t, could anyone inform me on how to maybe fix this? I’d like to get the yellow to the intended shade but if that’s not possible, I could definitely settle for a black or grey instead. I know some people might like this color (the glasser called it the “big mac special” on their instagram which I thought was actually pretty funny), but I’m really not a fan of it so far. My friend told me he’d help me do a resin panel (I’ve shaped and glassed 3 board, but have never done a resin panel) but I don’t know the best solution. If you have any information/suggestions on how to fix the color, please help me out. Cheers

It’ll grow on you.

If not have them glass a layer of 4 oz with orange tint

Thanks for the speedy reply, but I think it is already too late. I believe he’s done both hotcoats already. Do you have any remedies that I could do myself post-production? Would a dark resin panel turn out ok? You are right though, the colors have grown on me- I’ll probably keep it for awhile until my teenage mind gets restless.

once its done, its never gonna be improved by messing with it.

Start planning for your next one!

I make my own and lotsa times they don’t turn out exactly as planned.

On the other hand my one kid turned out great in spite of a buncha mistakes I made, so its all relative.

You win some you lose some, but if you live to fight the good fight another day, be thankful. Go catch some epic waves on that bad boy!

Why are you so worried about the color being the exact one you wanted? I would be more concerned on
how the board rides. We all spend money on things and we want them how we want them, but surfboards
are not decorator items and things that make us what we are. Surfing a board to its potential does that.
See what you like and what your skills are with this board. Read lots, so you know what changes you might
want in the next shape. If a board is a dog and has epic colors, its still a dog. If a board is clear and you surf
better than you have ever, it’s magic… just my 2 c…

For sure still 100% stoked on this board I’ve saved up for a longboard forever!!! You’re right, thanks for your wisdom

I got too much time on my hands so I just overthought it I guess. haha such a 1st world problem! Too much time! Thanks for reminding me of the true purpose of a board, I’m really hyped on it now. Cheers

They’ll see you coming down the line, kick out and let you have it. Wax will do wonders at toning it down. Better to do as the boys have advised; get out there and Surf the piss out of it. Lowel

My bet is that when you get it out of the glass shop where it’s under fluorescent lights and who knows what took the picture with, the board takes on a whole different look in the sunlight. Let’s keep this positive, you’re going to dig it!!

I know how it feels when you do a custom order and the color isn’t what you expected. But as others said, what really matters is how it rides.
There is a pitfall of human nature in the possibilty you will have a pre-conceived negative attitude because of the color. Try to ignore your disappointment and keep an open mind.
Also, I would not wax the bottom, as someone else has suggested.

yew!! So glad this websites been so positive; made me completely change my perspective. Not to say I wasn’t stoked, just kinda like “ohh that’s… different” hahaha I can’t wait. Should be coming within the week!

hahaha I will not wax the bottom best advice of the year. I’ve never ordered a board with color- I’ve always just ordered white hi pro (equally beautiful in my opinion) but I’ve had too many days wishing for a log here in san clemente and being the only one riding some self-shaped twin instead of a proper log on those sano days so I finally caved and ordered a log after failing to find anything in used board shops that had caught my interest over the past 6 months.

Besides the “Special Needs” class, dislexic as well. Sorry I gave you so much shit over the years. Had I know the severity of your problems; I might have been kinder.

Mr Personality strikes again. Tells someone to wax a board to help cover the unwanted color. The issue is the color on the bottom.
Proceeds to resort to his usual childish, low functioning insults.

Wax goes on the top i.e. Deck of a surfboard Haggar. I made no mention of the bottom. Red’s pretty damned loud as well. But not as loud as your howlin’.

Easy, simply take a nail and crack a few dings in the nose, rails, and tail. Then, surf it until you start to notice the color getting a nice shade of yellow/brown. Once you hit the desired color, dry out the foam and fix the dings.

Let’s surf SanO sometime, I’m there a lot. Shouldn’t be too hard to spot you haha

you guys are LAX.
If customers were that way in real life, shops lifes would be so much easier.

There is a certain amount of acceptability IMHO, because the exact same color will look different. if used on different foams, different densities, different glass. Different catalyst ratios etc. Tolerable margin of a few shades.

We have to redo boards that are barely off all the time, sometimes its because the image looks way different on my phone or computer than the customers phone.

All that being said… That color is wayyyyyyyyyy out of acceptable range of tolerance. Thats a lemon yellow tint. No orange about it. Not even golden yellow which has a bit of an Orange hint to it. To get that color Id use the golden yellow with a hint of International Orange.

If you got that board from me, you would have every right to say something.

That being said… If its growing on you… go with it. I love the people that are all “some sort of dark grey”

I cant tell you how many times weve gotten texts “Customer is kind of bummed on that board, He wanted PMS1764, and that is Clearly PMS1765”

worry not
“team colors”

Ah jeez haha alright I’m gonna be there probably semi-often most likely sunset-ish say hi if you spot me!