The double double.

This may be of interest to some folks so I figured I’d post it up and keep it updated as time goes on and I get more feedback.

The idea is rooted in Bills twingle (double single) set up and was am idea that came about through discussions on the “widow maker” set up. This is especially two twingle on one board with the center fin acting as a part of each pairing of fins. - since the side fins are closer to the rail they have been reduced in size. Once I have some time to foil up some fins, it will be running a dual foil on the center and single foils on the outside fins. Flats out.

Here is where it’s at so far.

I’ve taken it out for an initial surf in 6ft mushy-ish beach break and it was quite eye opening.

Very responsive but needed the fins dropped back a bit for me which I know will add a little more drive.
I could t get it to slip or stall.

I was out of town over the weekend so I left it at the local shop for people to ride and I’ve heard back from a few with positive results. Only via texts so I couldn’t get much details beyond “super sick” “stoked on this thing” kinda responses. But if it was a dog I know they would tell me.

I’ll keep this updated.

Any one in pismo area is more than welcome to give it a go.

Get that garbage out of here!
It’s not a 6’2" potato chip thruster, so it obviously won’t work!
Seriously though, when can I ride it???

According to Bill, the twingle setup was supposed to be one inch apart (or the width of a single FU box). Yours are apparently set wider. Have you ridden a ‘traditional’ twingle? I’m curious to the difference. I can almost tell from the pictures, did you do the side fins with a flat side out and foiled side inside? Awesome colors and glass job.

Nice looking shape. I like how your experimenting with fins set up straight across the tail versus staggered. This is what I loved about Swaylocks when I first came on board, the sharing of ideas.
What are the fin sizes? If they are small enough a set of thruster fins may work and the boxes could be smaller (more boxes).
It would be interesting to ride that for a while to get a good feeling for it then add 2 boxes further out toward the rail like Liddle’s 3 fin boards. See if the fins closer to center feel better. I may have to steal your idea and mess with it myself.

According to me, the fins were to be 2 inches apart, on center. it was quite by accident that it came out that the boxes had a one inch space between them. Room for a third box, or easy to add two boxes to an existing single fin board. One of those ‘‘happy accidents’’ that sometimes occur.

Monk - I have a whole host of twingle - front 5’10- 10ft. Love them all. - the idea was to have a twingle set up on each side of the board (bill has sorted out your questions about placement) and at the moment the fins are just off the rack trailer fins that my buddy uses in all his 80s thrusters. However I do like the template. Once I get some time I’m going to make a set of single foils to run.

Sharkcounty - fins are 3.5" I believe. I will confirm that once I get the board back. Center fin is 7"

My initial plan with the boxes was to run 80s style 6.75 boxes as they are a bit skinnier/lighter but the wait was too long for me hahah. Once I get the fins and placement more dialed in I will switch the the smaller boxes.

The initial plan is to ride it as a single/with all three fins inline and then move em around and see what we find.

And Chris - definitely wanna get you on this as we both have different approaches to surfing.

It will be interesting to see if you can feel much difference with the fins staggered, or if the outside fins are switched to flat side in or even normal double foiled. I have a bunch of FCS tabbed fins about that size that I can play with. I made a set of 7" single foiled fins for a Thrailkill setup, but I haven’t used them. They are too big for the 6’ 2" Duo I have and I’m not riding the board with the Thrailkill setup because the rocker is very flat. I’m using a set of 6" thick single foiled fins in the Duo. Flat side facing in.
I’m very interested in playing with a large center and smaller sides lined up across the board. You could add a second set of boxes 6" apart and have the Duo setup, but I’m not sure where the added weight will end up affecting the performance. When I did the Duos, I figured I could always add side boxes to make the board a quad. I haven’t had to yet because I’m enjoying them as is.
Cool to see a new approach to using a modern short board outline, but not the standard thruster or quad fin setup.
Measuring from the back of the fin box to the tail, how far from the tail is your center fin box? Looks like the fins are set far up.

Center box is 5" off the tail.

Center fin leading edge is at 12" - but I’m gonna drop is all back to 11" for my next surf. - I’m 6’2 and 220 so I have no problem whipping a board around. I want the extra drive and a touch less sensitivity.

Love the whole package wideawake: color work (I’m not even sure how you did that), outline and the fin setup.
Absolutely keep us posted on where you go with this.

let us not forget mahana’s quadruple double “el ocho”!!
http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/el-ocho-multi-fin-experiment

Huck - I really liked that board. The thread did t really go anywhere as far as ride report goes. Maybe it will get an update at some point.

Ride report update - had it out this morning - high tide mush. - I ride a lot of single fins and love the flow - surfed it a little farther forward and it felt good. Waves left a lot to be desired. Got a few cheater 5s tho haha.

I am really looking forward to getting some hard bottom turns.

Likewise. Mahana moved south and doesn’t post up much anymore, unfortunately. Love your board, and interested to hear ongoing ride reports. Love it when people start poking around the edges of whats “normal” hah!

Yeah, a hard bottom turn will let you know if the fins are in the right place. What I like about having the fins more inline across the board is less disturbed flow of water hitting the fin(s). Something my brother and I talked to George Gall of Plus One about. My brother has 2 Assyms from George, a 6’ 8" or so, and a 8’. I enjoyed riding the shorter of the 2. I used it in solid overhead waves and noticed that it paddled and rode well. George thought that the offset of the fins keeps the pattern of the water coming off the fins from hitting the rear fin the same way a standard thruster does. I think assyms are another shape that hasn’t blossomed into full potential yet. Probably due to the complexity in getting the bottom right.

Hi wide-awake. Your board is outstanding. How long and wide is it? How wide is the tail block? Mike

Mike - board dims are 5"10 x 21 x 2-5/8. - tail block is 7" - I actually had a vision of the plan shape of the board that bill made you when I was drawing it up.

While it’s not a board that I would normally be drawn to I really wanted a board that I could ride aswell as a host of other smaller guys who typically ride hpsb. I really enjoy single fins and know how all mine ride but I really like the input I get from guys who typically dont surf the way I do or the boards I do.

And to confirm the side bites are 3.5"

Thank you. Inspiring. Mike

So a ride report update.

I’ve had this out about 5 times and gotten some feedback from a few other guys and it consensus was ultra sensitive when surfed off the back foot. Fins were set at 12" to leading edge.

I dropped them back an inch and it felt much better. - one of the fastest boards I’ve ridden and very sensitive. - surfed it off my front foot and a little farther forward and it was smooth as butter.

i am really getting usd to it but reallly liking it so far. Still haven’t gotten a really good wave on it yet though.

Gave it to a buddy to use over the weekend so I should get some more feedback soon.

I feel this would be a killer set up on a wide point forward board or mid length as it really seems to heighten sensitivity.

I like everything about that black board except all those silly fins and boxes. When you guys do your experimental, mind blowing boards; use a second and don’t spend all the materials and labor painting and glassing. Just do a “Plain Jane”. Then if it doesn’t work out you won’t have so much invested in a board that’s just gonna sit around in a corner of the garage. Also fewer people will notice it down at your local break. Not such an attention getter. Especially if it’s a flop.