Cork Deck Lam Question

Good evening,

I am building a new board and want to give it a cork deck…

So my my quick question is when to lam the cork?

with the hotcoat? with the glass?

Thx for your help and enlightment :slight_smile:

Hello, maybe start here:

http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/exposed-cork-deck-58-neilson-drewtang

and get a feel for some the Sways members who have spoken to this.

I am not part of the choir.

Thx man :slight_smile:

Yes i went trought the search and the thread you mentioned. It said with the glass… But i guess it would be way easier after glassing, tape it off and trim it after the bagging :slight_smile: No messing with the rails n stuff.
So i just asked myself what other people are doing…

And bag it on after sanding, before hotcoat ,with a additional layer of glass underneath that doesn’t go all the way to the edge of the pad. I cut the cork with a template, lay it on , tape around , then flip the cork.
Cut the glass , wet out both at the same time and put it back on using the tape as a guideline. Fix it with masking tape. Put a release layer over it to protect the bag . Then something to spread the vacuum, some nylon mesh, or toilet paper etc… After cure I sand the cork down to the masking tape. Clean everything then hotcoat.

Thx for your answer :slight_smile: I just decided to do both to two boards to gather experience. Seems the go with the whole deck needs some extra sanding work.

If you are vac bagging the board and you want an “exposed cork” deck like the drew tang lost and inspired surfboard models you are doing it wrong. If you want a traction deck made out of cork you received ok advice except for the most important part. Peel Ply on cork surface with vac bagging then peel off for a perfect, as in no sanding, no drama, perfect traction cork application. If you are using any cork product other than the engineered core cork brand you are rolling the dice on final product effectiveness. If you live on Oahu feel free to contact me for further instruction. Pic peel ply coming off vac bag of cork. this was going to be an exposed cork product

traction deck post build

exposed cork

exposed cork

glassed over cork boards

Thank you for your effort.

I used peel ply dont worry :slight_smile: I meant with the glass… the vac leaves some extra resin spikes on the lam. I just put one in and wrapped it clear foil all around the board over the peel ply to pull it tighter before putting it in the bag. Lets see how this turns out. I actually didnt expect it would go as well as it did :slight_smile: These are my first 2 vac trys of ever… Dig your work, those boards look awesome, maybe in a lot of years i will make to that kind of finish. Thank you for the inspiration :slight_smile:

Great work as usual Charlie.

Im happy for my first try ever :slight_smile: I will try to remember to post some pictures when its all done…

looks great. what’s on the bottom?

Bamboo Veneer :slight_smile:

By the way, i rolled the dice using some non amorim cork… Guess cork stuff with density around 200 kg/m3 works just fine, didnt have the time to order the proper stuff :wink:

The engineered part is the space distance of the voids in the cork, along with thickness and density for a specific application.
So bottom from veneer to foam what is there? Did you wrap any fiberglass product sandwiched in there around the rails when vacuum bagging?
what is under the cork?

The bottom veneer was backed up with a layer of 4oz, then glued with the vac. After that i put another layer of 4 oz over everything. On top its 2x 6oz + 2mm Cork. Put it as a Hand Lam, gave it a slight shot of extra Resin on top afterwards, put on the cork and wrapped it with peel ply and some clear foil to keep the stuff in place. So on the rails theres a lap of 4 oz and double 6oz. The 2x6oz got a little bit wrinkled on the bottom by the vacuum…

Good to know, next time i will get the proper stuff :slight_smile: In the meantime i found the distributor for my place.

Next time try bottom veneer with extra long lap overhang and vac bag with smooth peel ply wrap to deck side with extra long lap. Carefully sand veneer back to out line on bottom not cutting into lap to deck. Don’t add extra 4 oz bottom yet. Put cork deck on. Pre cut cork deck with at least 1/4 inch over hand. Flip cork over and cut to matching size the fiberglass cloth, in your case 2 6oz layers. use your cork deck as wet out table for cloth and place on deck, pre cut peel ply. tape down, apply release film and bag as usual. when removing you will have an overlap of cork and cured fiberglass that you carefully sand back to shape. Place and patch preglass fin boxes, Tail and nose block if applicable. Bottom glass you board and do a cut lap on the deck side to allow for an exposed cork deck… Final coat of epoxy on deck side tape off 1/2" inside your cut lap on deck and get epoxy resin to tape off. Pull when ready. Pinline before or after.
Pic of sanding back cork overlap on bottom. Just needs fin boxes, nose/tail block in wanted and a hand glass job on bottom as described above.

I will follow your advice next time for shure. Thank you a lot for sharing your knowledge :slight_smile:

Heres a picture of the bottom, just got the hotcoat and heaps of dust :smiley: Not the best workplace ever… Far from perfect, buts it is my fifth board, so i guess its ok. Always learning something :slight_smile:

Hey charlie, ive been watching this thread with interest, Is there any chance you could clear up that last post? Ive been reading over and over trying to make sense of it but I am a bit confused. I’d really appreciate it if you could just break it down a bit more for us idiot novices. Love your cork boards, Thanks.