Marge Calhoun Legendary Woman Surfer

Yet another luminary surfer to add to this section of Swaylocks. Eventually it will include all of us I s’pose. Marge recently passed away and is remembered for being an accomplished surfer and the first woman to judge a surfing contest. She is most remembered for her distinctive style of surfing closely associated with her daughters Candy and Robin. She was the quintessential woman surfer in Laguna Beach, frequently gracing her presence at many other Southern California surf spots as well as Hawaii. She will be missed by family, friends and many long time admirers.

A bit more on Marge.
http://www.surfingwalkoffame.com/woman/Calhoun.html

Marge, Candy and Robyn Calhoun. Such a neat Ohana (Family). The Hawaiian Surfing community took an instant liking to these three wahine’s. All three, had their own style of surfing and grace on a wave, all three, were just neat to be around. I use to see Marge down at Brook St in Laguna when I lived on High Drive and frequented Thalia St to surf. Marge would be out bodysurfing, one or both girls would be on the beach. They were embraced by the Waikiki Beachboys for their surfing abilities and “Buff” and the crew always watched out for them at Makaha Beach in the early 1960’s. Marge is a lost treasure and will be remembered for her Smile, her courage for getting into a “man’s sport” and her love for the ocean and her two girls, that were always with her at the beach.
Aloha O’e Marge ~ Aloha Noo ~ ~
PPK

Well said my Bradda. I get the names of the daughters mix up. One of them( I think Candy) lived in Cambria just North of my home when I lived on the Central Coast. I had a wonderful phone conversation with her about her life. She was tied in some how with Abalone research and shellfish. She had a great interest in those things. Had put the surfing life behind her, but would occasionally drop in on a local shop like Wavelengths in Moro Bay just to see what the World of Surfing was doing. I mentioned to Allen Seymour that I had spoke to her. He had been great friends with the girls and their Mom at one time. We’re all circling the drain my friend. Lowel