Who said that you cant make a lightweight basalt board!!

My latest board
2.2kg before sanding
eps epoxy
6’1
dry patch 5oz basalt diamond weave on the tail
4oz basalt double bias to the front of the board
4oz over the top.

Can you relate some of your experiences in working with Basalt please? Ups, Downs, and overall view considering costs and availability and workability. Thanks heaps in advance.

no probs Tblank
We do a lot of different tapes and cloths in basalt and have a few guys using them these days, Similar to use to glass products can be sanded/glassed the same.
The big advantages is when using epoxies, the elongation is similar to epoxy so it will fail as one instead of carbon/epoxy with one failing before the other in lab testes we did it took about 100kgs more than the carbon/epoxy to fail - I know if a wave broke in the middle of the board it might just hold a little longer…
less brittle (similar properties to sglass in this respect) so less cracks on your edge of the tape compared to carbon .

Hi,
Nice to see these fibers and people experimenting. I’ve checked your webside and I’m curious about the different properties of Nylextra and innegra. In the old days I remember having kevlar, dyneema and diolen as cheaper version of it. Have these to similar properties? I hope that in the future all of these will be avaible in 1- 2 oz, then can we mix them and get even better results. It’s so funny looking at all of those “hightech proboards” with that carbon stripes ( I don’t mean your photo with basalt stripes but the proboard they are selling as high tech.

Thanks Jellyfishh
The board Wiggolly was riding at Trestles (pic above) is a Basalt Nylextra glass on the deck with a basalt carbon uni tape on the bottom.
Nyextra is more similar to the Arimids than innegra it goes almost completely clear in epoxy. We found weaving the yarn in a ropelike structure works well for flex and reducing breaking properties. - though it stands slighty proud in a 4oz cloth . We have a few cloths at 2oz with Basalt and innegra so you can already play with these fibres in a few different ways!

the guys from sanded are fantastic, great service!!!

Thank you for the reply Sanded. I’m real interested in this material. Do you source the basalt yourself or go to a manufacturer? Are you in the northern or southern hemisphere? Thanks Again.

Just checked out your site (should have done that before) and see you are in Oz. I’ll look for someone in the states. Cheers.

Because the fibre itself is brown any mistakes on a lap could be more visible. Something I notice as a beginner. Just something to bear in mind

No Probs Tblank
if you are on the west cost hit up Douglass Surf and West Coast Fiberglass Florida as they have access to most of the Cloths and Rail tapes we developed. All made in Australia. They already stock some of them.