Cheap Platic Skil Planer

Hey
My old n cheap planer is dead. I was kinda bored of it and I wanted to modify it but didn´t get the result I want. The only thing I didn’t like it was the trigger situated on the top part of the planer.

now a litlle bit of bla bla bla

The point is that I’m not a pro shaper, not even a shaper LOL. I shaped/glass around 8 boards. All were done with big blocks of PU. Removing the excess of the foam was a really pain in the ass and when the “blank” was ready to the real shape part I was so tired.
Last time I was in Hossegor, France I bought a real shortboard blank. Few days ago I tried t remove the stringer with a Stanley planer. Daaaaamn, I found it so easy. There’s no comparation between the home made blank and the real one. But also making a board from 0 to finish it’s an interesting feeling and also when u realise that the board rides as good as u expected.

So, I was searching for a normal planer, and with normal I understand - something between cheap and affordable - so I found the Skil one.
It’s the 1558AA model with 600W motor and made of plastic.
I know it’s not a planer designed for surf shaping but MAkita KP0810, Hitachi P20SB or Bosch 1594K are above 350€ (430$). For a hobby and shaping just one board/year I think it’s not worth.
After try it I’ll definitelly update.

Recived it today and it’s so damn nice.
The position of the trigger it’s very confortable. It’s not havy at all so I think I’ll use it a lot.
Today I repaired a Hilti vacuum and will use it with the planer.

Stoked! For what you are doing it will be fantastic. Skinning crust, removing the bulk of the foam… a surform and sanding blocks will do the rest. I shaped a lot of boards with no electric planer. I only wish I would have had something like that.

Does it have 2 blades?

If it’s working for you, that’s great. Hard to get something in Europe for cheap Euros that will do the job. Keep in mind that Balsa is in France and is a distributor for planers that are modified especially for surfboard shaping and they are moderately priced.

When I start making my own boards I found the first cheap planer but didn’t use it a lot.
Comparing with that, the new one it’s so damn light and my biceps will be so thankful.
Like u said I will use it just for skinning the crust and where I have to remove more than 1cm of foam.

Yes it does.
What I like is that the shoe needs around half a turn to open it up.

Yes, I know and last time I was in France had the idea to visit him but 10 days of holiday are passing so damn fast.
McDing what’s a moderately price? Because I saw a hitachi modified in Seabase (UK warehiouse for shaping and laminating essentials) and the price was around 450€ (550$).

When Skils are going for $1000 US; $350 Euro is not bad. But here in the US you can get a Wen that has been modified for shaping for $200. I don’t know if that planer is available over there tho. i think it is only available in 110.

Yes, unfortunately the Wen is only available in 110 V which means you must add the cost of a transformer (150-200 €), making it less attractive…

Hi Balsa,

I live in the Basque country and was wondering if you still deal in modified planers

Thanks

Of course I do.

Will be glad to help you.

Just check: https://www.guethary-distribution.com/

BIG UPDATE

Searching on ebay I found a lot of skil 100 but the price was impossible. The maximum I would pay for a good skil 100 is not more than 250-300€,

The problem with the US model is not 220V. To make it run I need a transformer from 220V to 115V.

I didn’t know there was a European model the 100H, but one day searching pics of the skil 100 I found one in Hungary.

I have some siblings over there so it was kinda easy to finally get my hand on it. Definitely the guy didn’t know what he was selling, cause I bought it for 60€. The only shity thing is till the end of this month I won’t have it.

Great catch, especially at that price.

Now the 100 H has a few noticeable differences from his US brother. The most obvious being the plastic handle which I don’t like too much. First, because it is plastic, of course, but also because it does not match the base-plate and it’s much thicker than the original aluminum one…

There has been an european version of the REAL Skil 100 in 220 V but it looks like not too many were produced; I was very lucky, years ago, to score one on the french website “leboncoin.com”. just like you, the seller had no clue what he was selling and he kept apologizing because he thought what he was asking (€ 60.00) was way too much since the blades were a little dull… I told him that I had everything needed to hone them to just like new and we made the deal. Couldn’t believe how lucky I was. Still my everyday tool, I just once changed the bearings and brushes…

I noticed that the handle is made from plastic and also the belt protector. I hope that won’t be a big problem.

Due that I shape 1-3 board a year I think I don’t need a skil planer hahaha. The one I just bought it’s just a caprice coz I can live without it.

You are so lucky to get a 100 for 60€. I heard about “leboncoin” when I was the last time in Biarritz (september) coz I was searching for a carver skateboard. Never tought somebody would sell his skil 100 on a secondhand web.

I go to France every 3 months, maybe one day I’ll make u a visit and see that “100”

I don’t know if it’s relevant , last year i stumbled over a old  planer, the holzher eho 75, that sells on eBay starting at 25 euro. It has very similar features compared to a skil…and 220V.

Looks similar at the handle and motor;  but looking at the front knob and shoe, I was wondering how it adjusts for depth.  Depth adjustment and the ease of altering that adjustment is the # one reason for the Skil 100’s use in shaping surfboards.  If the depth adjustment wasn’t the way it is or couldn’t be altered for free form sculpting;  the Skil 100 probably would never have been used for surfboard shaping.

You’re welcome any time.

Besides, the Holzher is very heavy (about the weight of the big Rockwell) and it is chain-driven (a bit noisy). The interesting feature is that you can direct dust either to the right or left. It could probably be altered for “on the fly” action, but it would involve quite a lot of time in thinking and modifying; That’s why mine sits on a shelf with a few others that share being all aluminum but are not surfboard-shaping tools.

This Skil 100 - 220 version is now in Sweden and I’ve been working with the guy there to restore it.  It’s the same as a 5.5 amp Type 3 but with a 220 VAC motor. Aside from that exception (and plug), everything is interchangeable with a US 100.

It could possibly be this was for 220 VAC  60 Hz US voltage since the label doesn’t state the frequency.  If operated at 50 Hz European frequency, it would still run but at 20% lower RPM or around 12,800 instead of 16,000 RPM.  However most electrical motors are rated 50/60 Hz anyhow so I can’t confirm without measuring RPM.  Many US tools were made in 220 VAC versions since the current is cut by 50% (note amps on the label) which is useful in applications when a power generator is used.  Unfortunately if the tool shorts out you’ll get zapped by 220 volts and whatever current the generator is limited to.  Not good if you’re on a boat or building a log home in the middle of nowhere.  Well maybe OK if it’s a hospital ship or a log cabin burn clinic.

[[{“fid”:“111413”,“view_mode”:“default”,“fields”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“1”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false}},“link_text”:null,“attributes”:{“class”:“media-element file-default”,“data-delta”:“1”}}]]

On the “H” version, the only parts same as the US 100 are the base and shoe, everything else is totally different. But it’s that low-angle sliding shoe which defines the 100 anyhow so the “H” is the closest you can get to a “real” 100.