4piece collapsible

Almoat finished my new project; a HWS filled with building foam and veneered directly on the foam, then glassed…
Some dents but I‘m content. Hope it will ride well and not tear apart while surfing…
More pics under:
woodboardforum.com

Nicely done SD! I just noticed that the veneers are book-matched left and right and top and bottom.
https://www.woodboardforum.com/forum/design/workshop-tool-ideas/5597-my-new-project

Does it come apart?

May we see the method you use to join the pieces together?

I‘m working on the travel case…

Two steelwires running on deck and bottom. Pic shows the rope tightener(?, fastener?), i use 4 of them, 2 at deck 2 bottom.
The feet may feel them, but I never had a problem with my hotcurl collapsible, feeling something negative during riding.
End of May, I will have the first chance to surf it, hope it will work and last… :frowning:
The segments are only butt jointed and hold securely, when wire is tight. There are two wooden dowels, 8mm diameter to guide a little bit and secure against torsion…

The board case is making progress…

It’s in here somewhere…
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/cable-tensioner

Very nice. Going to need wheels?

From the distance its fine, close you see some “waves” in the veneer, because the vaccum was not strong enough, think I had a leak in my bag. And the bended upper and lower corners lengthwise got some edges, because I used the wrong plywood. I should have build a mold and bent it before final gluing, but it is useable and it will be aflight case. … And after first flight, it will have other little damages… :frowning:
Thinking on wheels out of a rollerblade, and just stripped an old bagagge case for a trolley handle, but still thinking on wooden wheels and a wooden handle…

Wicked cool.

Finished outside of flight case, after some board refinements, i will integrate some neoprene for protection. The upper belt can be extended into a shoulder strap…

That is very clever , well done .

Well done.

Maybe eventually upgrade to a travel case with ABS plastic skins.

declared it as finished…
before and after…

How does it surf ?

I hope it will work well, but I will have the the time and possibilities to surf it only on vacation, the next one will be from 21st of May… The only risk I see in the moment is that the rope fasteners will tear out due to to high forces during the ride, but I do not exspect this, because my 3pc. Hotcurl never had a problem there. Time will tell…

It is a phenomenal build, not any 2 or 3 piece build but 4 and almost ‘carry-on luggage’.
I reckon you could 4 pice a 6 ft board into 4 x 18 in sections and put 2 pieces each in 2 brief cases.
Do you think using plastic / wood or Auminium 90 devg angles for the joins would work ? It’d give a lotta bite between sections ?

Yes, could work, but I think it is not really necessary. the ropes gets fastened until you can play bass on them, and the ropes transfer finally any vertical forces into horizontal one, the butt join should be enough.
I experienced once that my 3pc. hotcurl came apart, as it was hit by a huge wave. This wave was comparable to a wave which once destroyed my first longboard, which cracked in the middle. But after returning to the beach, I used the middle part as a body board and my surfteacher took care of the others, we could not face any damage and put it together again. With a joint like suggested, there are more possibilities to damages in the joint. I did not even see a slight damage on the upper cants of the joint, where in case of separation the heaviest forces are existing. And if you look closely, you see some black sides. In each joint on one side, there is a 1mm rubber to compensate for tolerances and to dampen forces…
Under heavy loads, the ropes behave like springs and prolongate, this usually compensate for riding forces very well, you actually feel nothing moving if rope is tight, at least with the 3 piece. and if a vertical force comes from the deck, the bottom rope should compensate it, the same with forces from the bottom side.
I shaped the boards accoring to the rope system, for example the deck in length direction must not be concave, if so, the deck rope would stand over the deck. lengthwise the deck must be straight or even better slightly convex. (I go for straight). Since I like high volume boards, I would rate myself late beginner, early intermediate and at my age of almost 55, volume helps…, the height is at 3inches and more, which also works for the system. The lower the height, the higher is the momentum at the joints.

But the 4pc still is a prototype and it has to proof that it works. I’m confident it will. as said the critical point are the rope fasteners or better the connection between the outside tube and the board. The hotcurl used brass tubes, now I have VA steel. I roughened the surface prior to epoxy them in, the total surface area of the tube is about 15cm². 2 times on each side of the ropes. These areas hold everything, if they fail and tear…

What you may not see in the pics, in each joint, left and right, close to the rails a little 1cm tube is glued in on both sides. They hold a wooden dowel, so each connection has 2 wooden dowels, which help putting the baord together and they protect against torsion. The dowels are to be removed, to make nothing stuck out on the joint sides, which avoids damages during transport.