Eaton Zinger Fins - Question for the Bonzer, Zinger, Twinzer experts...

Hey Guys,
I am in the middle of a shaping rabbit hole… haha. Recently finished a Mini Simmons style board and it worked so well for me I decided to do another and play around with some different fins/contours etc.

I became interested in the concept of the Eaton Zinger after seeing some photos Mini-style zingers Joe Bauguess had shaped.
Still trying to wrap my head around fins/placement

I’ve poured over the archives looking at everything I can find on fin placements/cants for bonzers, twinzers, and zingers. I’ve looked at Bonzers & twinzers in shops and taken measurements. I dont have a physical model of a zinger to look at, but I have looked at probably every photo of one that is on the internet lol.

Taking this into account and combining it with what I understand about fin placement on a Mini Simmons, I’ve pretty much settled at some placement dims. This will be a 5’6" x 22.,5" x 2.75" board with a pretty standard mini outline and low rocker. Tail width is around 19" at 12" up. I am thinking of putting the boxes for the “zinger” main fins at 5" from the tail, 21/8" from the rail, toed in 1/4" with 2 degree cant. The side runners are 3" depth 6.5" base bonzer style and I am thinking of setting them 1&3/8" toward the rail and further forward so that I will have enough adjustment to have anywhere from a 1/2" gap to an inch of overlap between the trailing edge of the runners and the lead edge of the main fins. With some adjustment there I can play with the placement to dial it in just right as long as the boxes/ runners are in the ballpark.

My first question is about cant on the runners. It looks like most of the Eaton boards have a similar cant to Bonzer runners at ~20 degrees, but when I eyeball photos of the Zinger-Simmons boards that Joe Bauguess shaped it looks more upright like 10 degrees. From learning about Twinzers it seems that 10 degrees is a popular number favored by Wil Jobson for his “canard” style fins, and from what I understand about Mini Simmons style boards a more upright, drive oriented fin cant is better, so I am tempted to go with 10 degrees rather than 20. Anyone have thoughts on this?

My second question is about the Zinger trailer fins. I called Fins Unlimited to see if I could get my hands on a pair, but have not heard back. I was able to create a template so that I can foil my own if needed, but I am curious about the foil shape. All the pictures make it look like a 50/50 foil. Am I right on this?

Last question… I promise. The advice I got when I shaped my first Mini was to place the fins as close to the tail as possible, which I did on my first boartd and it worked great. However, every mini-style board I have found with Twinzer, Zinger, or Quad fins have them placed further up, from what looks like 3 to about 7" from the tail. I understand that moving the fins forward will increase the looseness of the board at the expense of drive. I am imagining that because of the added fin area and 4 fin layout the board can work with the fins further up, but I have no experience to back that assumption. Do the numbers I settled on for rear fin placement sound reasonable?

Thanks all, I appreciate this forum so much and all of you who have been willing to share your thoughts/experience with beginning shapers like myself! You are all a big help and an inspiration.

Charlie

AC Elliott (ACE) posts here, and as I understand it he was actually the designer of the Zinger back when he was shaping for Eaton. If you do a search you might find some threads here on Sways about that design. If I recall correctly, he recommended using a low aspect fin (not a high aspect fin) and pushing hard into the turns.

His Squish design is his version of the Simmons and he advocated using a little vee and no concaves, but rather, using fins to get the drive and hold instead of the concaves. He advocated the quad+twinzer leaders (he calls it the Six-Shooter) for the really fat assed boards.

My favorite fin setup for a fat assed stubby is either a small keel+canted leader, or a 5"/4" quad set out at the rail. IMO, wide boards need more control surfaces, not more surface are and lift. It’s the narrow tails that need more surface area and lift rather than more control.

Pics?
I’m not familiar with these, but they sound cool?

Phew a lot of questions for first thing in the morning…Yes the ZINGER was my brain fart…I had one of those midnight revelations “TWIN FIN BONZER” shortly after seeing a couple of Wil Jobsens early Twinzers. Simple answer about fin placement of the “main and Jib” fins is the overlap is more important than the “cant”… At the time this was a big breakthrough for the BONZERS. BUT over time I found certain ride characteristics unacceptable…I added a small trailer fin and that fixed the problem…The plastic fins were junk…Cheap to make but too many returns,I could go on forever about the evolvement of these boards. For me fin placement position size shape was always a visual thing. For you it is a “rabbit hole” for me it is opening up old wounds. I do not know where you are located I am in Ocean Beach, San Diego. I still have the original board we sacrificed to become the first ZINGER. If you are close by I would rather SEE what you are working on and provide my input than spend my time banging on a keyboard…Dyslexia is a bitch…Make it through it in the water see what happens…ACE

random pics