Hansen Logos on the Bottom

A few years back I sold a Hansen Mike Doyle Model that had no logo on the deck but the hansen logo and the mike doyle gold star on the bottom. I was told at the time that in the 60s, shapers didn’t put logo on the bottom and it might be fake. Can anyone shed light on this? I believe the guy I sold it to is trying to sell it on craigslist and I want to get in his face about it and maybe get my board back.

Thanks

Is he asking substantially different price from what he paid? You should just make offer through a third party and use the same line on him, offer what you feel is fair since you know what he paid.

Tell him I’ve seen those things go for $X (what you sold it for), and that was in better condition than yours.

While the standard practice in the 60s was to put lams on the deck, having them on the bottom is no indication it’s a fake. People did all sorts of variations with logos as far as positioning, number, size, and even layout. You can find boards that had several lams cut in pieces and rearranged to form a pattern, and all manner of things.

That was certainly the case at Hansen, when I shaped there, in 1965 through 1969.

1968 Hansen

You’re gonna get in his face for selling a board on Craigslist??? What’s up with that???

I took it that he was upset about a bogus story of ‘no logos on the bottom’ so it was ‘likely a forgery’, not that he was selling it on craigslist.

I skipped over this part the first time around.

Another indication that your source of info was clueless. Shapers never put the logos anywhere.
The lams were applied by the laminator, who was usually not the shaper.

But! The shaper indicates to the glasser where he wants them unless he just doesn’t care and leaves it up to the glasser. Glassers who have done a lot of one shapers boards generally know a standard placement unless a shaper says otherwise. No reason to rip on another’s knowledge nor inflate your own. Bill is right; They did all sort of lam placement on Hansen boards. Easier to do that than tint or paint stripes etc. to make a really nice clear board look unique. Some shapers tended more toward clears, others toward resin or paint work. In my opinion there is a trend these days toward fancy resin work to make a board unique. Many of the younger shapers these days resin tint or opaque every board. It has gotten to the point that the resin work is what matters, not the shape. Hairs split.

PS – Weber and Bing were probably the most frequent at cutting up lams. I usually put two on the deck side by side with the stringer space in the middle. I’ve had a laminator or two complain. I’ve also had laminators complain because I placed more than one lam on top and bottom and because I wanted a lam on an Opaque board.

Hey every one, I wanted to share my Mike Doyle Hansen with no logos on the deck. Been reading all the threads and learning a lot about these models