Swaylock's Outdoor Cookbook/Recipes

Just an idea, ‘‘Do you (forum members) have any favorite Sea Food, or Game, or Camping, dishes you’d care to share with like minded Swaylockians?’’ Nothing quite like going diving, or fishing, and then cooking it up, right out of the water.

Rodger that…
Here’s a few for yellowtail…
I’ve collected, enjoy!

Yellowtail al Vino Bianco
Pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil in pan on medium-high. Add a yellowtail fillet and sear on one side. Flip the fillet and add to the surrounding edge, 1 tablespoon chopped garlic, 1 tablespoon chopped shallot and 2 tablespoons of chopped chives. Sauté approximately one minute or until garlic is soft but not brown. Remove the fillet and place over some pasta. Add 1/2 cup white wine to the pan, set on medium-low until wine reduces completely. Remove from heat, incorporate 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream and whisk in 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter! Double this recipe for two! If your fish fillet is thick and not cooked complete in the middle, place it in a shallow pan and finish it off in the oven.

Grilled Yellowtail or Tuna Steaks
Whisk 2 cups of fresh orange juice, ½ cup of soy sauce, 1 cup red wine vinegar, ½ cup olive oil, 1 chopped onion, 4 minced garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, 1 tablespoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, 1-½ tablespoon whole pickling spice, 1 six ounce can tomato paste and ½ cup of sugar together in a bowl. Arrange 6 yellowtail or tuna steaks in a baking dish large enough to hold them in one layer. Pour the marinade over. Marinate, cover and chill, overnight or up to 24 hours. Drain, reserving the marinade in a bowl. Grill on a lightly oiled rack for 3 minutes on each side or sear in a pan. Return the steaks to the baking dish. Spoon the reserved marinade over the steaks. Place in a preheated oven at 375 degrees, bake until done – to your taste – best slightly rare. Top each tuna steak with 1 teaspoon of the butter and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

Steamed Yellowtail with Citrus and Soy
In a large zip lock bag, mix ½ cup pineapple juice, ½ cup of orange juice, 1/3 cup soy sauce, 3 tablespoons of finely chopped peeled fresh ginger, 2 tablespoons of oriental sesame oil and 1/8 of teaspoon of cayenne pepper add four 6 oz. yellowtail fillets. Chill and marinade for about 2 hours. Turn the fish to evenly coat it.
Take the fish out and place the marinade in the bottom of a shallow steamer, place the fish on a rack cover and steam until opaque in the center. Remove the fish, continue to boil and reduce the marinade until its thick (about 6 minutes) spoon the sauce over the fish.

Sesame Crusted Yellowtail
First you want to prepare your set up, have a plate of plain flour, a bowl with two eggs, one cup of milk and ¼ cup of water – whisked, a plate with a half a cup of flour mixed well with 2 tablespoons each of black and white sesame seeds.
Dredge your yellowtail fillet in the flour and shake off any excess flour, dip in the egg mix and then dredge it in the sesame flour.
Add a tablespoon of sesame oil and a tablespoon of canola oil to a small frying pan, heat on the stovetop. Add your fillet and lightly brown on both sides. Remove the fillet from the pan, set the pan aside for the sauce, and place your fillet in an ovenproof pan in the oven at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes to finish cooking.
Take your original frying pan with all the crumbs in it, heat it up, sauté two chopped cloves of garlic, two teaspoons of minced ginger, four large sliced shitake mushrooms, add additional oil if necessary. Add two tablespoons of white wine, ¼ cup of chicken stock, a tablespoon of soy sauce, a teaspoon of honey. Reduce your sauce to about half, add a chopped scallion and finish off by swirling 2 teaspoons of unsalted butter. Place fish onto of rice and cover with sauce.
From Conomo Cafe – Chef Derek Ellerkamp.

Easy Yellowtail Teriyaki BBQ
Combine 2 cups of soy sauce, 1 cup of packed brown sugar, 1 cup of white sugar, 2-3 tablespoons of granulated garlic, 1 teaspoon of white pepper and a tablespoon of vegetable oil. Stir till the sugar is dissolves. Place your yellowtail fillet in the bag and add the sauce, marinate overnight. Grill the fish on the barbeque on both sides. Serve with white rice or a salad and Enjoy!

OUTSTANDING! Thank you for the contribution. By way of confession, my favorite way to prepare Yellowtail, is to chill it, and eat it raw with some Wasabi and Soy Sauce. Especially the belly meat. Hamachi Toro. Yum!

YT “the local chow”.
Belly? Best part, sashimi…
Here’s a topper…
Yellow FIN still warm filet on deck?
“Like a porterhouse steak”…
Matty

Fish fillets. Place on large sheet of foil wrap. Spray with olive oil spray on both sides. Sprinkle with Old Bay. Fold foil wrap into pouch Put in a teaspoon of water before sealing. Cook in oven. After removing from oven slather on whipped butter. Enjoy. Works great with frozen fish. You don’t even have to thaw it. 30 minutes at 400 for frozen works great.

Where’s the poke recipes, I know there’s some secret family ones out there.

If you ever go to Portugal or Galicia in Spain, you may get „perceves“ at the local markets. They are translated into english as „goose barnacles“.
They may be availlable somewhere else, but I do not know. In restaurants they sell up to 100$ per kilo, at the markets, depending on the season, they go for 15 to 20 bucks.
Just simmer them in salted fresh- or use seawater for about 3 min, ready. They grow on cliffs right at the waves and its dangerous to collect them. It is reported that there are deaths of „perceiberos“, the collectors, annually…
They look like dinosaurs clawth…, and are really delicious.

Here’s my take on sea scallops. I don’t measure anything, I just go by taste so bear with me and adjust accordingly.
It’s always a good idea to make friends with your fish monger. He will steer you in the right direction towards fresh local fish.
Step one: the rub Mix the following ingredients in a bowl
Brown sugar
Salt
Black pepper
Ground garlic powder
Powered mustard
Papricka

Step two: coat the top and bottom of the scallops with the rub

Step three: heat pan to screaming hot, add olive oil and a bit of butter to pand. cook scallops on each side for about 3-4 minutes until the rub has a nice crust, but not burnt.

Step four: remove scallops and deglaze pan with white wine and butter to create sauce. Pour sauce over scallops. Add a squeeze of lemon and enjoy.
More receipes to follow.

Surfifty,
The Scallop dish sounds delicious. I’ll be trying that one this week! Thanks.

Thanks, let me know how it turns out. Next up is garlic crabs.

I did this cooking show for Hawaiian Electric from 1989 till it ended around 2005. There’s lots of great recipes that Hawaii residents love.
https://www.hawaiianelectric.com/recipes

Shark—. What’s the Hawaiian sea weed along the shore used in Poke? Can’t think of the name. Can’t really have Poke without that.

In the past it was Maunawea also called Ogo with ground up roasted kukui nut and salt. Ogo is the most common limu in Poke Aku or Ahi. But, there are recipes with wai’wai’ole, which is a thick green fuzzy looking limu, and limu kohu. You could find Limu Kohu at Chun’s reef in the 70’s. My friend’s mom would drive us up there to surf and she would harvest limu.
Today the poke has green onion, limu, sesame seed, sesame oil, and all kine other stuff depending on what your protein is.
If you are Oahu, you have to try the Poke at Tanioka’s Fish market.
Where I grew up was once the spot for gathering limu on the beach. There would be so much limu along the beach, and sometimes it was a real pain in the ass. Nowadays, it’s hard to find, you have to go into the water and look.
This was my uncle’s recipe for Poke Ahi, he won a contest with this. He was also very fond of Waiwai’ole, but I never could handle that. Uncle Ted lived on the beach at Shark Country until he died around 2004. He bought one of the beach houses my grandparents ohana built in the early 60s. He knew that stretch of coastline better than anyone.
https://www.hawaiianelectric.com/recipes/find-a-recipe/ahi-and-salmon-poki-(raw-fish-appetizer)
This is another good Ahi Poke recipe. Aunty Dolly’s daughter and I were classmates in school, but but she passed away recently from cancer. Not sure if Aunty is still alive. They both were part of the Pu’uloa Hawaiian Civic Club, and Pu’uloa is the east end of Ewa Beach. Shark Country is at the west end.
https://www.hawaiianelectric.com/recipes/find-a-recipe/ahi-poke

Here’s a simple recipe for drying fish. When I grew up we’d dry fish and meat all the time. We were lucky to live in Ewa Beach were it’s usually very hot and sunny. Dried Aku, Akule and other fish is great with beer. We’d usually take the dried meat and throw it on a hibachi (barbeque) to heat it up a bit make it a bit more tender. Pipi Kaula is dried beef, we’d use venison a lot.
https://www.hawaiianelectric.com/recipes/find-a-recipe/dried-fish

I live on a barrier island so blue claw crabs are usually plentiful. I guess any type of crab would work for this. Here’s how I cook garlic crabs.
I use a wok, but any deep pan will do.

1. Prepaid the crabs by cleaning them. I do this by ripping off the backs and removing gill, guts and what
    have you
  2. Sprinkle powered garlic on the crabs. Being sure to get both the meat side and the shell side.
  3. Peel and chop your garlic. The amount depends on you taste.
  4. Heat wok on high heat and add a few table spoons of oil. Sauté about half of your peeled garlic until it
    It starts to cook. Be careful not to burn it. it’s very important to heat the wok to very hot before adding
    the oil.
  5. Remove and reserve the cooked garlic then place the crabs in the hot oil. Stir crabs in the oil until almost
    done.
  6. Return the reserved garlic and the remainder of the garlic from step 3, and finish cooking crabs.
  7. Once crabs are done you can give a splash of white wine and a bit of butter to make a sauce

Make sure that you have plenty of napkins for your hands.

I caught these fromy kayak about a week ago. Fish tacos are always good, but my favorite is ceviche. Fish, lemon and lime juice, tomatoes, onions, serrano chiles, cilantro, avocados and salt. Most important ingredients are the chips and beer!

The son of my wife’s cousin is a marine science major in NC. He spearfishes and caught some African Pompano that he brought up to NJ at the end of the semester. He prepared it blackened and made some very good fish tacos for us last night. The fillets we dusted with Old Bay Blackened Seasoning, and placed in a cast iron pan with a little oil. It only took about 7 minutes to cook both sides. The rest of the meal consisted of chopped onion and tomato, a bit of guacamole (home made of course) lettuce and soft tortias.
Place the fish and topping into the tortious and fold. A very simple meal to cook and not a lot of fuss.

Want to make a strong tasting fish, taste like a cross between chicken and lobster? Here’s how I did it with a large Conger Eel, that I speared at Makaha. After skinning the eel (no easy task) I cut the meat into chunks approx. 2in x 2in x one inch thick. Then put it into a large bowl, and cover it with a 50/50 mixture of soda pop wine and vinegar. Store it in the fridge overnight, up to as much as 24 hours. Drain, dredge in a mixture of flour and pepper, and fry in the oil/butter of your choice. Salt to taste, and chow down. I had Buzzy, and his family over to dinner, and being unsure how the eel would taste, as a backup I speared a bunch of Menpachi, from my secret ‘‘Menpachi hole’’ at Makaha, (I called it the grocery store) which was also served up for dinner. The eel was so mild, that it made the Menpachi taste really strong. And, Menpachi are renowned for their mild flavor. Everyone was impressed with how good the eel tasted. Me among them. I later fed the Menpachi to the dog, after dinner.

Mahalo for all that good info and those recipes. Yes “limu” that’s it. I miss good Poke here on the Mainland. Had a Poke appetizer at a SAN Clemente Sushi place with PeteC and Terry Senate recently. All it did was make me crave the real thing. I absolutely have to go Maui and Ohau this coming fall. Gonna make Pete go with me. Lowel

I’m sure they are not the same kind, but they love there fried Eel where my Daughter lives – New Zealand.