johnmellor's picture
All right kids. Let's do it again!
  • OCTOBER 17th - 20th
  • Group Camps 2 & 3 at Plaskett Creek in Big Sur
  • Room for 20 cars
  • 25.00 per person
  • Please PM me for more info

keithmelville's picture

I'm IN!! (Just bought a new winter wetsuit, too, ha ha!)

Let's see, I have a blank to donate for the raffle of course...

darren's picture

Believe it or not I am also in. And odds are that includes the group of delinquets that I travel with too. See ya. Darren

Surf4fins's picture

I wanna hang with all delinqents, miscreants, and anyone who is orange!!!! I'm in!!!! Woohoo............

stingray's picture

We'll be there
Rain or shine.

Surf4fins's picture

;) beer ;)

ambrose's picture

hmmmmm. october....
...ambrose...

ambrose M. curry III

srpato's picture

We'll be there also. Look for the Blue Westy!

Will bring a couple of new boards to share!

lavarat's picture

It may be a little bigger than the picture in October.

I am marking it down in my tide chart-day planner and will try to make this one.

Ian

chrisp's picture

i'm in for sure.
really looking forward to it.
i hope Ian is right...

elewis's picture

I am going to try and make it this year. If not for the weekend at least for one day as I am close. Could you have fires last year, I was there in Sep., and it was no fires or BBQ's, camp stoves only.

johnmellor's picture

Hi Eric -

The fire restrictions were taken as a precaution due to extreme drought. During the Jade Festival the water issue was so extreme they trucked in porta-potties. The water situation was A-OK for our event but no fires were allowed.

The group camps were booked up early this year and October was an option that several people chose over June dates that were also available. I had made reservations for each period but cancelled the June dates based on preferences posted by Swayloholics.

Surf, weather, fire restrictions, etc are going to be what they will be but I'm hoping for the best. :-)

jt1's picture
jt1

Good morning John ,

I would love to attend with my two sons age 19 and 21 .

Thanks James

Dansan's picture

gonna be dicey for me..
my second kid is due october 22nd...
and the first was early...

LeeV's picture

I don't know (sigh), the water's cold, the waves are too big, there's fog in the morning, it's too bright in the afternoon, it gets cold at night, the raccoons are too nosey and Tim, Ray and Mark are too noisy, John's hat is too big, the Pod smells like dogs, there's no shower, no tv, no computer, there's too much car surfing, too many boards, and all anyone talks about is surfboard this and surfboard that, and someone always seems to lose their carrot, I never win anything and there is just way too much laughing.

But if there is fresh fish and Bundt cake, I guess I'll go.

TaylorO's picture

Well - After that sweet endorsement, count me in! Don't forget the "wise one" in the tree overseeing the main nights proceedings - I think if you brought some mice offerings, you'd win soooo much raffle stuff you'll need a trailer to get it all home!

Plus - I need another free "Free Roy" shirt, so if you live farther away than me... Take a short cut! Ha!
Unless, of course, I'll share my fantasy plan: Dale Solomonson is willing to come with me, and we pick up Ambrose M. Curry III in S.F. - I'll vote for Ambrose to win the shirt...

But, mostly I drop that as a seed... I've offered Dale an all expense trip, but he's reluctant to leave the Mat loft... and, if Ambrose had a free ride from his mom's to the beach, maybe that would be enough to persuade him...
So, if any of you fellow Swayloholix has an inside line to these two pillars of our e-temple of surfboard design, then I'd be the happy driver. Plus, I'd have some "Uncles" to help me mind my carrots! Ha!

TaylorO. Not to mention I'm so freaking stoked on my latest board that I shaped another design change last week!

TaylorO

Surf4fins's picture

Quote:

I don't know (sigh), the water's cold, the waves are too big, there's fog in the morning, it's too bright in the afternoon, it gets cold at night, the raccoons are too nosey and Tim, Ray and Mark are too noisy, John's hat is too big, the Pod smells like dogs, there's no shower, no tv, no computer, there's too much car surfing, too many boards, and all anyone talks about is surfboard this and surfboard that, and someone always seems to lose their carrot, I never win anything and there is just way too much laughing.

But if there is fresh fish and Bundt cake, I guess I'll go.

that's what I had this made for ;) Here's to hoping Plaskett serves it up once more!!! I know Chase and Evan will paddle out with me. Who else is game?

keithmelville's picture

Tim, we'll you outside on that thing, how good can you duckdive?
"of Course there will be a lull.... yeah right!"

Surf4fins's picture

I learned the hard way to tuck tail, go in and then paddle back around through the "key hole". Think anyone ever found your hood?

johnmellor's picture

"there's no shower"

Hi Lee... I'll bring one of those solar shower bags for ya.

Still working on fresh fish and bundt cake. It's a little early for that.

Surf4fins's picture

anything else I can get you Lee?

johnmellor's picture

Yeah, she'll be there too. Cowabunga!

Surf4fins's picture

she has a sister

rooster's picture

I'll be there as long as there are delinquents and nobody brings any surfboards. I'll bring beer, of course. Let me know what is needed. I live pretty close. I have plenty of firewood. Mike

Surf4fins's picture

delinquents

darren's picture

I still have a real good line on some bundt cake and fresh fish. No local salmon this year but we will get by. This thread has me stoked. Note: I don't want any new folks to get discouraged by all this code talking and inside jokes. It is just a bunch of old guys with C.R.S. Make new friends and keep the old, one is silver the other is gold. Darren

keithmelville's picture

That's true, we do tend to get the same folks showing up year after year (which leads to inside jokes and "code talk) - but that's because it's so fun that once you go, you'll never want to miss it. New faces encouraged though!!!
PS yes Darren I Cant Remember Sh*t either, ha ha. What's all this about bundt cakes? And how are we going to get Ambrose to show up this year?

chrisp's picture

i'll bake a few more Bacardi Rum bundt cakes and bring 'em down
this thread has me stoked too.... can't wait!

TaylorO's picture

What is C.R.S.? Oh - I just realized, that's what Keith was talking about "can't remember sh*t!" Ha! I'm not sure if that's a symptom of "old guy" status, or to much time at the tap... Plus - I'm offering Ambrose a ride from S.F. and back. Not to mention Dale...

TaylorO

TaylorO

ambrose's picture

hmmmmmm... ride down and back?

hmmm...ambrose...

ambrose M. curry III

markssd's picture

Well I guess I will be there, Just kidding I'm there rain or shine hopefully less rain this time.

Sleathy motel in Ventura rules, see you there Ray and Tim

Mark

proneman's picture

!Possiblemente! If we happen into a good southwest....probably go elsewhere. If Ambrose is coming..I would like to be there to watch him get into a wetsuit again!!

roger

stingray's picture

All about having fun !!!!!
Looking forward to Sways 2008

Ray

ambrose's picture

the shrunken wetsuit was givved away to a tiny girl
the sooper elasto was tooooo small
I 'd have to get a wetsuit to get into...
...ambrose...

la nina?

white canoe sets...
mattatonic?
ship some boards?

ambrose M. curry III

keithmelville's picture

What size wetsuit do you need Ambrose? If that's all that's stopping you we can find one, I'm sure.

Ya need booties too?

(It's only June and I'm already stoked about October...)

lazymodo's picture

i would love to attend as well.
i just moved back west and it would be great to meet some like minded individuals, make some connections, surf ,and drink beer!
checks on the way.

srpato's picture

Hi John,

When do we need to pay?

Marc

johnmellor's picture

Hi Sr Pato -

The sooner I receive payment, the sooner I can lock you in. If I receive more payments than we have parking spaces, I'll refund accordingly.

John

jt1's picture
jt1

Good morning ,

Where do we mail the check to and what name on it .

Thanks James

johnmellor's picture

Hi -

I'm collecting funds. All proceeds beyond break even go to Mike Paler to keep this site up and running.

John Mellor
271 Vista Ct
Los Osos, CA 93402

PH: 805-528-4724

Feel free to contact me with any questions!

chrisp's picture

i've got 3 different 4/3 wetsuits ranging from med to large for Ambrose or anyone else who
wants to borrow one...

i'm definitely looking forward to Oct!

thanks John

stingray's picture

Did I tell you my board is magic?.....

Don't forget your rain poncho......

TaylorO's picture

Hey Ray - Yes I think you said it was magic every hour on the hour... Ha! and Tim and Scott -
One of the best memories was standing under the dripping canopy... (What was the point of that thing any way??? Ha!) Talking board design, and debating epoxy v. poly... I'll miss you all this year... But, gives me motivation for next year.

More carrots - less troublesome stuff... Ha!

TaylorO

johnmellor's picture

The group camp event is still on! Fire restrictions are in effect at this time.

CYNTHIA CRISSMAN at WARVEL SURF CORES (http://www.warvelsurf.com/) has generously offered a WMD blank for the raffle. They are also providing a finished demo board.

KEN EBERT at SEGWAY COMPOSITES (http://www.segwaycomposites.com/) has informed me that he will be providing a computer pre-shaped SUP blank.

Many thanks go out to Ken and Cynthia for their generous contributions! I know they've both been busy but it's heartening to know that they're finding time to step up and help out the little guys. Ken is distributing Warvel blanks on the west coast so it's definitely worth taking a look at their product.

Ken has a fantastic selection of EPS paddleboard blank designs available along with some great surfboard blank designs. Greg Loehr designed many of the blanks including some with parabolic stringer configurations. Ken is also offering machine shaping and contract glassing services.

With the Warvel MDI polyurethane in his catalog, he's covering all the bases.

There are still a few spots left so if you decide you can make it, please let me know ASAP. THANKS!!!

EDIT - Ken surprised me with two shortboard pre-shaped blanks along with the pre-shaped SUP blank (on top of block) to the raffle. Cynthia donated the WMD (Warvel Multi Density) with 5lb polyurethane rails and EPS core blank along with a finished Warvel demo board. Sorry, the two blanks (11' X 31" X 5") inside the big block are taken.

Thanks again to the generous sponsors!

warvelsurf's picture

Hi John!
Want your group to know that Greg Loehr, Ken Ebert and I are also planning a seminar at Cerritos Community College on Nov. 9 (Sunday). Contact Ken for info but there's a $25 fee (going to the college) for the workshop. eval(unescape('%64%6f%63%75%6d%65%6e%74%2e%77%72%69%74%65%28%27%3c%61%20%68%72%65%66%3d%22%6d%61%69%6c%74%6f%3a%6b%65%6e%40%73%65%67%77%61%79%63%6f%6d%70%6f%73%69%74%65%73%2e%63%6f%6d%22%3e%6b%65%6e%40%73%65%67%77%61%79%63%6f%6d%70%6f%73%69%74%65%73%2e%63%6f%6d%3c%2f%61%3e%27%29%3b')) I know you know about this because I've seen your questions and comments but also want to mention...
Greg has a HUGE thread going under General Discussions (WMD Compsand) and discusses his ideas of how to glass the WMD in a few fairly easy steps. He has added bamboo veneer to the top and bottom of the board to make a structurally sound, extremely light weight, high performance board.
At the seminar Greg will demonstrate the process (not the shaping process but the glassing process).
Kudos, too, to Scott Busbey our North Carolina connection. He has shaped a lot of these and sells them in his store, Natural Art Surf Shop in Buxton, NC (OBX). The donated board was early in this process and weights in at 6.6 pounds - but they can go to 5 pounds and still hold up a long time. We didn't donate fins. I believe Scott used FCS fin boxes. So - it's it's to be ridden that weekend.... :)
We are a little guy too and have to look out for each other. That's why Ken agreed to stock our blanks out there. Save freight and no minimum quantities. Ken can also shape on his machine and leave the glassing to the customer.
Have a great time. Be safe.

johnmellor's picture

Hi Cindy -

Thanks for the info. I've applied for that weekend off work and hope to be able to make it down. I've missed the other Cerritos seminars.

I'll make sure the Warvel Surfboard gets some fins in it.

Thanks again for the generous help in sponsoring the event. There are going to be some stoked winners!

bluewailer's picture

saw the pics from last year, and Im in this time.
Ha it was crazy seeing Darren, Rex, Chase in there.

srpato's picture

Anyone else as excited about this as I am?

Have the shopping list filled out and already checked/double checked all the camp gear. I'm sure we'll still forget sumptin.

Now just need to get our camper back. Just found out yesterday that it needs both rear axles replaced so I dropped it off this A.M. with our mechanic. Should be good to go tomorrow morning. Keep fingers crossed.

Big Sur weather is showing partly cloudy and in the 70's. Anyone know how this translates to Plaskett Creek? How about surf? Are fires still out of the question?

Look for the blue & white VW Westy! My brothers in law will be sharing our space with a big white Toyota pickup w/pop top camper. Come over and say "HEllo". I know what a few of you look like, (Tim, Mark & LeeV.) But as for most of the others, I could be standing on your toes and not know who you are. ;)

Just one day left......

P.S. How do we get in? Will they have our names at the kiosk/ranger station/entrance?